ANSYS RBE3 command vs Contact Wizard

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard in ANSYS for creating constraint equations. Some people prefer the RBE3 command due to a negative experience with the Contact Wizard, while others have not used RBE3s and instead use MPC connections or CE/CPs. There is a question about the advantage of using RBE3s over MPCs, to which there is no clear answer. It is mentioned that using constraint equations with a large number of nodes can cause inefficiency in solution time. The conversation also touches on the use of a parameter array for slave nodes in version 12.1 and how it differs from other commands.
CFDFEAGURU
Hello all,

Just thought I would throw this one out there.

Who preferes to use the RBE3 command to automatically create a set of constraint equations and who prefers to use the Contact Wizard?

I used to use the Contact Wizard but I recently got burned by it, so I switched to using the RBE3 command, which isn't the most pleasant command either but hey it's ANSYS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mattt

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've personally never used RBE3s. I've either used MPC connections or CE/CPs. Do RBE3s have an advantage being nodal over MPCs (surface based)?

Do RBE3s have an advantage being nodal over MPCs (surface based)?

I am not sure is there is an actual advantage. I do know that using constraint equations with a large number of nodes can cause some inefficiency in the solution time.

In version 12.1 you have to use a parameter array for the slave nodes. A component will not work.

Thanks
Matt

I see that RBE3s are force-distributed rather than directly "coupled". This could things like applying moments probably more accurate. The thing about the parameter array is kinda dumb though. Why?

Why?

I am not sure. I had to call tech support because I didn't know you had to use a parameter array either. You can use components for every other command. I made a short text file that can be used for the job. It is a modification of the one that the tech support group sent me.

Let me know if you want it.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is the difference between the ANSYS RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard?

The ANSYS RBE3 command is a user-defined element that allows for the creation of rigid body elements in a finite element model. It allows for the coupling of multiple degrees of freedom between nodes, making it useful for modeling connections between different parts of a structure.

The Contact Wizard, on the other hand, is a graphical interface tool that allows for the creation of contact elements between different parts in a finite element model. It automatically generates contact elements based on the user's inputs, making it easier to set up contact between parts.

2. Which one should I use for my analysis?

The choice between the ANSYS RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard depends on the specific needs of your analysis. If you need to model connections between different parts with multiple degrees of freedom, the RBE3 command would be more appropriate. If you simply need to simulate contact between parts, the Contact Wizard would be a quicker and more user-friendly option.

3. Can the ANSYS RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard be used together in a single analysis?

Yes, the ANSYS RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard can be used together in the same analysis. However, it is important to carefully consider the interactions between the two and make sure they are used correctly to avoid any conflicts or errors in the simulation.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using the ANSYS RBE3 command or the Contact Wizard?

Both the ANSYS RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard have their own limitations and restrictions. For example, the RBE3 command may not be suitable for highly non-linear analyses, while the Contact Wizard may not be able to handle certain types of contact between parts. It is important to thoroughly understand the capabilities and limitations of each tool before using them in an analysis.

5. Can the ANSYS RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard be used for different types of analyses?

Yes, both the ANSYS RBE3 command and the Contact Wizard can be used for various types of analyses, including structural, thermal, and dynamic analyses. However, it is important to carefully select the appropriate settings and parameters for each type of analysis to ensure accurate results.