Computer Science VS Computer Engineering (Academic Research ? Similar?)

In summary, there are overlaps in academic research between Computer Science (CS) and Computer Engineering (CE), as seen in the research sections of top universities' websites. However, the differentiation between the two fields lies in the departments in which they are run and the availability of funding. While CE may offer more industry opportunities, there is still significant research being done in CS, particularly in areas such as computational neuroscience and cognitive science. These types of projects may be found in departments outside of CS, such as psychology and biology. Students interested in these areas may need to think outside the box and be open to interdisciplinary research.
avant-garde
Computer Science VS Computer Engineering (Academic Research...? Similar?)

Are there many overlaps in academic research for CS and CE? It seems that for the schools I've researched (UT, Stanford, CMU, etc...) the "research" sections of their webpages for both CS and CE seemed very similar (robotics, AI, etc).

I'm about to go to college next year so I was wondering if someone with insider knowledge in one or both of these two fields would differentiate the research that goes on between the two? Are they essentially the same? I was under the impression that a CS major won't be able to do as much as a CE grad in industry but when it comes to academia the lines blur? Just making an educated guess here.

*edit: oh and I realized that when they say "AI" research, these universities are working on very application-specific AI. I was hoping for AI research on a more fundamental/algorithmic level such as Numenta's htm's, neural networks, and Blue Brain, but it seems that we don't know enough about the brain yet? So do you think for the next few decades we will still see application-specific AI rather than a more general AI?

Physics news on Phys.org

avant-garde said:
I'm about to go to college next year so I was wondering if someone with insider knowledge in one or both of these two fields would differentiate the research that goes on between the two?
It depends a ton on the school, as compE is almost never a standalone department. At mine, compE is run out of CS/EE, so research opportunities come out of one of the departments. Robotics attracts a lot of compE's cause it blends CS and EE, but it's run by whichever department has the faculty and funding to support it. I've seen computer architecture type projects in CS, but FPGA stuff in EE-> but other schools run it differently. Yeah, it all boils down to who has funding, and there aren't really standalone "compE" projects as the field is far too new to have many researchers in the field.

I was hoping for AI research on a more fundamental/algorithmic level such as Numenta's htm's, neural networks, and Blue Brain, but it seems that we don't know enough about the brain yet
You're probably looking in the wrong sections/at the wrong schools. Minnesota has a strong Computational Neuroscience/Cognitive science program,as does Stanford last I knew, and I saw an AI model of attention coming out of the neuropsychology program at the University of Texas. You'll need to think outside the box a bit, but there's definitely work on this.

story645 said:
You're probably looking in the wrong sections/at the wrong schools. Minnesota has a strong Computational Neuroscience/Cognitive science program,as does Stanford last I knew, and I saw an AI model of attention coming out of the neuropsychology program at the University of Texas. You'll need to think outside the box a bit, but there's definitely work on this.

Ah... so anything with the word "computational" plus some subject in biology, eh?
Not many undergraduate programs have those, so I guess it's still Computer Science at the undergrad level...

avant-garde said:
Not many undergraduate programs have those, so I guess it's still Computer Science at the undergrad level...
Grab an undergrad psychology course or two geared at cognitive neuropsych from a philosophical approach. I'm doing undergrad research in psychology that looks at different models (including a neural net variant) of attention, so I know what you want is out there, but yeah it's as likely to be coming out of the psych or bio department as the CS or EE department. You need to keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to have a major in psych or bio to do work on those projects; the professor may love the fact that you're CS/compE/EE and make you get up to speed on the domain specific knowledge.

I can provide some insight into the differences between Computer Science (CS) and Computer Engineering (CE) and their academic research.

The main difference between CS and CE is their focus and approach. CS is more theoretical and focuses on the design and analysis of algorithms and software systems, while CE is more practical and focuses on the development and implementation of hardware and software systems.

In terms of academic research, there is definitely overlap between the two fields, particularly in areas such as robotics and artificial intelligence (AI). However, the specific topics and approaches may differ. For example, a CS researcher may focus on developing new AI algorithms and theories, while a CE researcher may focus on implementing those algorithms in a physical robot.

In terms of industry, both CS and CE graduates are highly sought after and can have successful careers in various fields. However, there may be a slight advantage for CE graduates in certain industries that require more hardware development, such as embedded systems or computer architecture.

Regarding your question about AI research, it is true that most current research in AI is focused on specific applications rather than a more general AI. This is because the field of AI is still relatively new and we are still learning about the capabilities and limitations of AI technology. However, there is ongoing research in more fundamental and algorithmic AI, such as neural networks and machine learning, that may eventually lead to a more general AI in the future.

In summary, while there may be some overlap in academic research between CS and CE, the focus and approach of each field may differ. Both fields offer exciting opportunities for research and industry, and it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.

1. What is the difference between computer science and computer engineering?

Computer science and computer engineering are two closely related fields, but they differ in their focus. Computer science is primarily concerned with the study of algorithms, programming languages, and the theoretical foundations of computing. Computer engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of computer hardware and software systems.

2. Are computer science and computer engineering similar in terms of academic research?

Yes, computer science and computer engineering share many similarities in terms of academic research. Both fields require a strong understanding of mathematics, logic, and problem-solving. They also use similar research methods and techniques, such as experimentation, data analysis, and literature review. However, the specific research topics and areas of focus may differ between the two fields.

3. Can someone with a computer science degree work as a computer engineer?

It is possible for someone with a computer science degree to work as a computer engineer, but it may require additional training and experience. Computer science graduates may have the necessary skills to work on software development and design, but they may need to gain knowledge and experience in hardware design and computer engineering principles. Similarly, computer engineering graduates may need to acquire more knowledge in computer science concepts to work on software-related projects.

4. Do computer science and computer engineering students take similar courses?

Computer science and computer engineering students may take some similar courses, especially in the early years of their studies. Both may cover topics such as programming, data structures, algorithms, and computer architecture. However, as students progress through their studies, they will likely take more specialized courses that are specific to their respective fields.

5. Which field of study is better for a career in the tech industry?

Both computer science and computer engineering can lead to successful careers in the tech industry. The choice ultimately depends on an individual's interests and career goals. Computer science may be a better fit for those who are interested in software development, data analysis, or research. On the other hand, computer engineering may be more suitable for those interested in hardware design, embedded systems, or computer networking. Ultimately, both fields are valuable and in-demand in the tech industry.