Intuitive meaning for Newton-meter

• Thread starter mathx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton-meter (Nm), kilogram-force (kgf), and Newton (N) units in motors and machines. The speaker asks for examples and information on how these units work in specific scenarios, such as a 2Nm motor connected to a ball screw and a motor driving a linear shaft. The speaker also mentions a need to build an "internal model" for these units.
mathx
Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to grasp an "intuitive" meaning for Newton-meter, kgf and Newton when applied to motors and machines.

For instance: If I have a 2Nm motor connected to a ball screw (supported on both ends), how much load can this motor move? How fast?

Another problem: If I have a motor driving a linear shaft on an "up/down" movement (like the piston of an engine), how much force is made at the shaft's end? How much is needed to (for instance) break a sheet of glass, a brick or a 10mm thick MDF plate?

Basically, I need some examples, directions or information about this kinds of scenarios, so I can build an "internal model" for how this units work...

Sorry If I'm not so clear, I'm not a native english speaker.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathx said:
For instance: If I have a 2Nm motor connected to a ball screw (supported on both ends), how much load can this motor move? How fast?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

1. What is a Newton-meter?

A Newton-meter, also known as a Joule, is a unit of measurement for energy or work. It is equal to the amount of energy needed to move an object with a force of one Newton over a distance of one meter.

2. How is a Newton-meter different from a meter?

A meter is a unit of length, while a Newton-meter is a unit of energy or work. A meter measures distance, while a Newton-meter measures the force needed to move an object over a certain distance.

3. Can you give an example of when a Newton-meter would be used?

A Newton-meter can be used to measure the work done by a force, such as the amount of energy needed to lift an object off the ground or the energy produced by a moving object.

4. Is a Newton-meter the same as a kilogram-meter?

No, a Newton-meter measures energy or work, while a kilogram-meter measures torque or rotational force. They are two different units of measurement with different purposes.

5. How does understanding Newton-meters relate to scientific research?

Understanding Newton-meters is important in scientific research as it allows scientists to accurately measure and analyze the energy and work involved in various experiments and processes. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and engineering.