Radioactive Decay: A Problem in Differential Equations

In summary: Just because it has something to do with radioactive decay doesn't mean you have to be an expert on all radioactive decay processes. In summary, the problem is that we can't find an equation that accurately predicts how much Lead and Bismuth will be present at any given time.
Bachelier
I've been working with this problem for almost two weeks trying to find a good equation for the decay of Bismuth to no avail.

Can someone give me insightful comments:

Here's the problem:

Homework Statement

In the radioactive decay series of Uranium (238, 92), isotopes of lead, bismuth occur as products of two successive Beta decays with half -lives of 19.7 minutes and 26.8 minutes, respectively.

U --> Lead --> Bismuth

Decays are each proportional to the amount of isotope present.
Assume initially at time =0, we have 100 mg of lead and 150 mg of bismuth?

We are asked to find the amount of lead and bismuth at any time?

Homework Equations

So first we have to formulate a DE for the decay.

The one equation for Lead is simple.

Let L(t) be the amount of lead at any time, then the DE model is:

dL/dt = -a.L​
(a: constant of decay)

after integration and get L(t) = 100.e^(-a.t)

Using the Initial Value Problem and half-life value we get an equation:
L(t)= 100.e^(-.035185.t)

Now the Differential Equation for Bismuth is: (B(t): the amount of Bismuth at any time)

dB/dt= -b.B + a.L​
(a.L: quantity of lead decayed added to the Bismuth which equals 100.e^(-.035185.t)) and b: constant of decay for Bismuth

Solving this 1st Order DE we get:

[100.e^(-.035185.t) + C.100.e^(-b.t)]​
B(t)= _____________________________________
[b -.035]​

C is a constant of integration.

First: Is my B(t) equation correct based on the problem we have?

And second, how can I solve for b and C based on the IVP I have?

Can you guys help?

thx :)

Physics news on Phys.org
shouldn't we need to know how much uranium there is to know how much lead is created from the decay of uranium? i don't think there is loss of mass in beta decay, so the conversion is 1:1.

xaos said:
shouldn't we need to know how much uranium there is to know how much lead is created from the decay of uranium? i don't think there is loss of mass in beta decay, so the conversion is 1:1.

Actually what we are studying here is the decay of both Lead and Bismuth.

The Uranium is mentioned here to give an idea that both isotopes are derived from Ur. :)

O Come on guys, is this such a difficult problem?

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which unstable atoms lose energy and transform into more stable forms. This is typically accomplished by emitting particles or electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured using a half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original amount of a radioactive substance to decay.

3. What causes radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay occurs because the nucleus of an atom is unstable and needs to release energy in order to become more stable. This is typically due to an imbalance of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

4. How is radioactive decay used in scientific research?

Radioactive decay is used in a variety of scientific research, including dating fossils and artifacts, medical imaging, and nuclear power. It is also used in carbon dating to determine the age of organic materials.

5. What is the role of differential equations in modeling radioactive decay?

Differential equations are used to model the rate of change of a quantity over time, making them a useful tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of radioactive decay. They can also be used to calculate the half-life of a substance and its decay constant.