Cathode Rays Experiment some missunderstood parts

In summary, the conversation discusses J.J. Thomson's three CRT experiments and their implications on understanding the nature of rays and their charge. The first experiment proved the inseparability of the rays and negative charges, while the second experiment found a solution to the issue of rays not being deflected by electric fields. This led to the conclusion that the rays were particles with a negative charge. The third experiment allowed for the calculation of the ratio of mass to charge of these particles. Overall, the conversation highlights the significance of these experiments in advancing our understanding of charged particles.
Maisara-WD
Hi all

I don't know If this is the suitable section for this post.. but at all.. let's see if anybody can make me understand this :):)

You all know of course J.J. Thomsons's three CRT experiments...

The first one was aiming to prove that the appearing rays and the negative charges detected by the electrometer are inseperable and interwined, and that was by exposing them to a magnetic field, observed that the rays were bent and no readings were recorded on the electrometer.. so they proved it well... but please.. isn't that meaning that the rays carry -ve charge?? so what's the aim of the 2nd exp.?
My personal understanding is that the 2nd exp. is to find a solution for the problem of rays being not deflected by electric field and not to prove anything.. BUT

In the second exp. Thomson found a solution for the problem and -I don't know how..- he concluded that the rays are particles -vely chraged... How this differs from the first exp. Does the magnetic field differs physically from the electric field -I mean in attracting charged bodies-? doesn't the attraction by magnet prove that the rays are -vely chraged particles??

I'm Waiting ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
The second experiment proved that the rays were deflected by an electric field.
Other workers had failed to find this - leading them to believe that the beam perhaps did not consist of charged particles.

Thompson's first experiment showed that the beam produced charge at the electrometer - it did not prove that the charge was carried by the beam.
The second confirmed that the beam itself carried charge.
The third allowed him to actually calculate the ratio of mass to charge of the particles in the beam. Showing in fact that they were particles.

AJ Bentley said:
The second experiment proved that the rays were deflected by an electric field.
Other workers had failed to find this - leading them to believe that the beam perhaps did not consist of charged particles.

Thompson's first experiment showed that the beam produced charge at the electrometer - it did not prove that the charge was carried by the beam.
The second confirmed that the beam itself carried charge.
The third allowed him to actually calculate the ratio of mass to charge of the particles in the beam. Showing in fact that they were particles.

Thank You very very much.. I'm very grateful to u

1. What are cathode rays?

Cathode rays are streams of electrons that are produced when an electric current is passed through a gas at low pressure.

2. How was the cathode rays experiment conducted?

The experiment involved passing an electric current through a partially evacuated glass tube with two electrodes, an anode and a cathode. The cathode was negatively charged and the anode was positively charged. When the current was passed through the tube, a glowing beam of light was observed traveling from the cathode to the anode, which was later identified as cathode rays.

3. What was the significance of the cathode rays experiment?

The cathode rays experiment provided evidence for the existence of electrons, which were previously thought to be a part of atoms. This discovery led to a better understanding of the atomic structure and paved the way for further research in the field of subatomic particles.

4. What is the misunderstanding about the cathode rays experiment?

One of the common misunderstandings about the cathode rays experiment is that the rays themselves are negatively charged particles. However, the rays are actually made up of negatively charged electrons, which were later identified as the fundamental particles of electricity.

5. How did the cathode rays experiment contribute to the development of modern technology?

The discovery of electrons through the cathode rays experiment had a significant impact on the development of modern technology. It led to the invention of devices such as the television, cathode ray tube monitors, and electron microscopes, which are widely used in various industries today.