Is there an easy way to simplify a 3 term squared paranthesis?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a mathematical expression and the use of shortcuts or formulas to do so. The participants discuss the general formula for expanding (a+b)^2 and how it can be applied to the given expression. They also mention the use of a website to help with solving similar expressions and a more general formula for expanding (a+b+c)^3. In the end, they agree that the best approach is to rely on symmetry and multiply out the terms term by term.
Dawei
I know I probably learned this 10 years ago, but I really have no idea how to simplify something like this:

(A*B + C*D + E*F)2

Is there any kind of shortcut (even a website that does it automatically!) that can help me solve expressions like this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what are A, B, C, D, and E? Real or complex?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "simplify" because it already seems to be in simplified form. Did you mean expand? If you meant expand..

Then use the general [tex] {(a +b)}^2 = a^2 +2ab +b^2 ...
let AB+CD =a, and EF = b
[/tex]

Dawei said:
Thank you...I'm still not getting what it should be though. I would like it to expand into the following form, and I'm having trouble figuring out the steps to get there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41988307@N08/4928253310/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I mean... there isn't really any shortcut to this (If that's what you are looking for)

You can do (A*B + C*D + E*F)^2 = (A*B + C*D + E*F)*(A*B + C*D + E*F) and just multiply it out term by term.. or you can let a = AB+CD, and b = EF and use the general form for [tex] (a+b)^2 [/tex]

[tex] so.. (AB + CD)^2 +2EF(AB +CD) + E^{2}F^2 = A^2B^2 + C^2D^2 +E^2F^2 + 2(ABCD + EFAB + EFCD) [/tex]

I hope that's what you were looking for...or I'm not getting your question

Thanks. That's what I tried to do (after your first post) but I got nervous, it didn't look like it was going to end up in the form that I wanted. I'll just multiply it out and see what I get though. All this time searching for a better way, I probably could have done it already.

Thanks again.

There is a trinominal formula, which can be generalized: (a+b+c)^3 = (3!/3!)[a^3+b^3+c^3) + 3!/2!1! [a^2(b+c)+b^2[a+c]+c^2[a+b]+3!/1!1!1! (abc).

This can be applied to (a+b+c)^2 since there are only two kinds of answers m^2 or mn. The coefficients are 2!/2! or 2!/1!1!, which is 2 or 1, of course. We just rely on symmetry. a^2+b^2+c^2+[2](ab+ac+bc)].

So this is rather easily handled by symmetry. More difficult cases can be handled, such as (a+b+c+d)^4. The coefficients are going to be like 4!/4! = 1, 4!/3!1! = 4, 4!/2!2! = 6, 4!/2!1!1!=12, and 4!/1!1!1!1! =24, the last coefficient being used in 24abcd.

Last edited:

1. Can I use the FOIL method to simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis?

Yes, the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) can be used to simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis. It involves multiplying the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms.

2. What is the difference between factoring and simplifying a 3 term squared parenthesis?

Factoring involves finding the common factors among the terms in the parenthesis, while simplifying involves performing operations to reduce the expression to its simplest form. They both can be used to simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis.

3. Can I use the distributive property to simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis?

Yes, the distributive property (a(b+c) = ab + ac) can be used to simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis. It involves distributing the value outside of the parenthesis to each term inside.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis?

Yes, it is recommended to follow the order of operations when simplifying a 3 term squared parenthesis. This means simplifying any exponents first, then performing any multiplication or division, and finally any addition or subtraction.

5. Can I use a calculator to simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis?

Yes, calculators can be useful tools to simplify a 3 term squared parenthesis. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in the simplification process and not rely solely on the calculator.