Mastering Intermediate Dynamics: Tips and Tricks for Success

• Thread starter jazzyfizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, you need to determine the acceleration, then use a bit of kinematics. However, you cannot use numbers in this equation, so you will need to express your answer in terms of the given data--F0, t0, and m.
jazzyfizzle
1. A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the acceleration, then use a bit of kinematics.

jazzyfizzle said:
But that's the thing.. I don't know the force. How are you supposed to even do this when there's no numbers involved ?
Since you don't have numbers, you'll express your answer in terms of the given data--F0, t0, and m.

I just tried it and got :

x=2[(1/2)(F0/m)t^2]
You're on the right track. Hint: Treat each segment of the motion separately. In the first segment (from t = 0 to t0), the initial speed is zero--but that's not the case for the second half of the motion.

Hint2: Consider the average speed during each segment.

jazzyfizzle said:
Should I maybe use vf^2=vi^2+2ax to find the final velocity of the first segment?
then go from there ?
There's a much easier way to find the final velocity of the first segment. What's the definition of acceleration?

For a final answer I got

x=((2F0*t0^2)/m)) + (4F0t0)/m

But... I don't think that's right at all...

jazzyfizzle said:
For a final answer I got

But... I don't think that's right at all...
No, it's not.

Do it step by step, one segment at a time.

Ok what I did was :

First I used x=v0t+1/2at^2 to find the distance traveled for the first segment before the force doubled

I plugged in a=(F/m) for the acceleration and v0=0 for the initial velocity
Then i got
x=1/2(F0/m)t^2
for the first segment

Then,
i used vf^2=vi^2+2ax to find the final velocity of the first segment
(plugging in the x i found from above and a=F/m and v0=0)
which i got to be
vf= (F0t)/mthen I used that final velocity as the initial velocity for the 2nd segment
and plugged in a=2F0/m
into x=v0t+1/2at^2and somehow came out with the answer
x=((2F0*t0^2)/m)) + (4F0t0)/mWhere did I go wrong ?

The definition of acceleration is the change in velocity over the change in time

jazzyfizzle said:
Ok what I did was :

First I used x=v0t+1/2at^2 to find the distance traveled for the first segment before the force doubled

I plugged in a=(F/m) for the acceleration and v0=0 for the initial velocity
Then i got
x=1/2(F0/m)t^2
for the first segment
Good! You have the first segment done.

Then,
i used vf^2=vi^2+2ax to find the final velocity of the first segment
(plugging in the x i found from above and a=F/m and v0=0)
which i got to be
vf= (F0t)/m
Good. An easier way would be to use vf = vi + at, but your way is perfectly fine.

then I used that final velocity as the initial velocity for the 2nd segment
and plugged in a=2F0/m
into x=v0t+1/2at^2
That will give you the distance for the second segment. (Then you'll add that to what you already found for the first segment.)

and somehow came out with the answer
I don't see how you got this. Show me what you plugged in where.

Ooh, well I never went back and added the first segment.. maybe that's where I went wrong ? .. and my algebra could be a little off too. I'll probably need to go back and double check that also.

Redo and then simplify your results for the second segment.

For the second segment I'm getting the distance as

[F0(3t0 + t0^2)]/m

jazzyfizzle said:
For the second segment I'm getting the distance as

[F0(3t0 + t0^2)]/m
That's not dimensionally correct. Show me what you plugged in for each term in the following:
x=v0t+1/2at^2
x = (v0)(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2

v0 ---> (F0t0)/m
t ----> 2
a -----> (2F0)/m

jazzyfizzle said:
v0 ---> (F0t0)/m
t ----> 2
a -----> (2F0)/m
v0 and a are correct, but the time for the second segment is the same as the first: t0. (From t0 to 2t0.)

Oooh. That makes sense. Duh.

1. What is Intermediate Dynamics?

Intermediate Dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces in systems that are not in a state of equilibrium. It is a more advanced level of Newtonian mechanics, and it involves the use of calculus and vector analysis to solve problems related to motion and forces.

2. Why is Intermediate Dynamics important?

Intermediate Dynamics is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects and systems that are in motion or under the influence of forces. It also provides the foundation for understanding more complex concepts in physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

3. What are the key concepts in Intermediate Dynamics?

The key concepts in Intermediate Dynamics include Newton's laws of motion, kinematics, dynamics of particles and rigid bodies, work and energy, and momentum and collisions. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and predicting their future motion.

4. What are some real-world applications of Intermediate Dynamics?

Intermediate Dynamics has many real-world applications, including designing and analyzing the motion of vehicles, understanding the behavior of structures under different forces, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing control systems for mechanical systems. It also has applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and biomechanics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Intermediate Dynamics?

To improve your understanding of Intermediate Dynamics, you can practice solving problems, work on conceptual understanding, and seek help from teachers or tutors. It is also helpful to visualize the concepts through illustrations or simulations and to relate them to real-world examples. Additionally, staying updated with current research and developments in the field can deepen your understanding of the subject.