Local Realistic in 4-Space Sliced to 3+1 Nonlocal

• Thread starter inflector
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary, this person is looking for papers that have considered the idea of reconciling local realism with experimental proofs of violations of Bell's Inequalities. They are specifically looking for papers that discuss how entanglement might be involved in reconciling these two concepts. There are a few papers that may be of interest, but they are all pretty speculative.
inflector
I've been exploring an idea for reconciling the possibility of local realism with the various experimental proofs of violations of Bell's Inequalities. Since it seems like an idea that must have been explored and considered elsewhere, I am looking for relevant papers which have considered the idea before. I haven't found any yet, but I feel like there must be some as it seems like a rather obvious idea so there must be some error in the logic of it or I would have seen it before.

Consider a 2D slice of an object that exists in 3-space, an elastic tube where the 2D slice shows only two closed curves, C1 and C2 which are not connected in any way, the change in size and shape in a continuous fashion over time, i.e. For the sake of the example, consider that the tube vibrates according to wave equations that are well known. An observer in 3-space could determine the relationship between the shapes of a particular slice according to this set of equations.

If you only had access to the 2D slice, you would not easily see any connection between the two closed curves C1 and C2, yet one exists. There is in fact a causal connection to changes in the curves. If you changed one of the curves, say C1, by applying a force to the edge of one of them there would be a corresponding vibratory change in C2 at some later point. The delay in the change would appear to be random if you only had access to the time-evolving curves in 2-space since there would be no way of knowing how far apart the two curves were in 3-space. Some might even say that the curves were "entangled" in some way.

If the 2D slice were itself curved, it would be possible to have C1 and C2 located much closer in 3-space than they would be in the 2D slice. You can see how this would work if you took a 3-ring hole-punched paper and curved it back so that two holes are penetrated by a single pencil, they holes might be 10mm distant in 3-space (i.e. nearly adjacent on the pencil) but 300mm apart in the curved 2D slice represented by the piece of paper. In this instance, a change in one of the curves might cause an affect in the other curve that appeared to be super-luminal since the distance traveled by the cause in 3-space was much shorter than the distance traveled in the 2D slice. It might even be fast enough to seem to be "spooky action at a distance".

I am trying to find threads here or papers on the subject of an analogous 3D slicing of a structure that existed in 4-space where the causal connections exist in 4-space but might not be visible or apparent in the 3D slice, and the idea that entanglement might involve causal connections that appear to be superluminal in the 3D-slice, i.e. nonlocal in 3-space but that are in fact, local and sub-luminal in 4-space.

Any pointers to relevant papers would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one has seen anything like this before? Or finds any obvious problem in the above logic?

This sure seems like an idea that must have been considered somewhere.

That sounds like wormhole type constructions to argue for non-locality, problem is it doesn't explain how non-local correlations may exist anywhere in the universe in any direction, unless you can find some pretty exotic embedding in the higher dimensional space to argue otherwise.

The Holographic Principle is a modern attempt at this type of argument, you may have local connections on the holographic boundary associated with non-local causal events in the (higher dimensional) bulk space.

eg http://www.springerlink.com/content/67q829q31m5qrg11/ (arXiv)

It's all pretty speculative.

1. What is "Local Realistic in 4-Space Sliced to 3+1 Nonlocal"?

"Local Realistic in 4-Space Sliced to 3+1 Nonlocal" refers to a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the concept of locality (the idea that objects can only influence each other if they are close together) with the concept of nonlocality (the idea that objects can influence each other without being physically connected). This framework involves slicing four-dimensional space-time into three-dimensional space and one-dimensional time, and introducing nonlocal interactions between distant objects.

2. What is the significance of this theory?

The significance of this theory lies in its attempt to explain the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, where two particles can become entangled and influence each other's behavior instantaneously, despite being separated by large distances. This theory also has implications for our understanding of space and time, and could potentially lead to new insights into the nature of reality.

3. How is this theory different from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

This theory differs from other interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation or many-worlds interpretation, in that it attempts to maintain both locality and realism (the idea that objects have definite properties independent of observation) while also explaining quantum phenomena. It also introduces nonlocal interactions in a unique way, by slicing space-time and allowing for nonlocal influences along the time dimension.

4. What evidence supports this theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support this theory. However, some experimental results, such as violations of Bell's inequality and the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment, can be interpreted in favor of a nonlocal and realistic view of quantum mechanics. Further research and experimentation is needed to fully explore and test this theory.

5. How does this theory relate to other areas of physics?

This theory has connections to other areas of physics, such as general relativity, quantum field theory, and string theory. It also has implications for the study of black holes and the nature of space-time. Additionally, it has sparked discussions and debates within the scientific community about the fundamental nature of reality and the limitations of our current understanding of the universe.