Two nonholonomic particles in mutual potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to find a radially-symmetric mutual potential between two particles by relating the acceleration of their heading angles to the distance between them. The poster is looking for suggestions on how to find expressions for f(r) and g(r) in terms of the radial distance, and a suggestion is made to use the chain rule to derive equations for \ddot{\theta} and \ddot{\phi}. These equations can then be used to solve for f(r) and g(r).
coolnessitself
Hi all,

Homework Statement

Not actually homework, but hopefully it fits well in this forum.
I have two particles that can only move in the direction of their respective heading angles. I'm trying to relate a radially-symmetric mutual potential between the particles to the acceleration of this heading angle. For example,
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
\dot{x}_i \\
\dot{y}_i \\
\dot{z}_i \\
\dot{\theta}_i \\
\dot{\Theta}_i \\
\dot{\phi}_i \\
\dot{\Phi}_i
\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} v\sin\theta_i\cos\phi_i \\ v\sin\theta_i\sin\phi_i \\ v\cos\theta_i \\ \Theta_i \\ f(r) \\ \Phi_i \\ g(r)\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
for the distance r between 1 and 2. Normally we might say that [tex]\ddot{r} = -\nabla G(r)[/tex], but here in order for r to change, the heading angles must change. So my question is how to find f(r) and g(r) (the acceleration of the heading angles) so that the same behavior occurs as with [tex]\ddot{r} = -\nabla G(r)[/tex]. If we require that the direction of r is constant throughout this acceleration, ie [tex]\dot{r} = (\ldots) \hat{r} + 0\hat{\theta} + 0\hat{\phi}[/tex] then it seems to me like there should be a unique solution (if one exists).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the direction of r doesn't change,
[tex] (\dot{z}_2 - \dot{z}_1)r = (z_2 - z_1)\dot{r}[/tex] and [tex] (\dot{y}_2 - \dot{y}_1)(x_2-x_1) = (y_2-y_1)(\dot{x}_2 - \dot{x}_1)[/tex]. My hope would be to then expand out [tex]\ddot{r}[/tex] until equations for [tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\ddot{\phi}[/tex] appear, then use that condition to find one solution. Something like
[tex] (\dot{r})^2 + r\ddot{r} = (\dot{x}_2 - \dot{x}_1)^2 + (x_2-x_1)(\ddot{x}_2 - \ddot{x}_1) + (\dot{y}_2 - \dot{y}_1)^2 + (y_2-y_1)(\ddot{y}_2 - \ddot{y}_1) + (\dot{z}_2 - \dot{z}_1)^2 + (z_2-z_1)(\ddot{z}_2 - \ddot{z}_1)[/tex]
But after plugging in [tex]\dot{x}[/tex], etc. with phis and thetas, It doesn't seem to lead anywhere.
So I get the feeling I'm going about this incorrectly. Physics gurus, if you have any suggestions for an alternative approaches to finding this heading-angle-potential, I'd appreciate your input!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your question on this forum. I can offer some suggestions for finding the heading-angle potential that you are looking for.

Firstly, it seems like you are on the right track with your attempt at a solution. However, instead of expanding out \ddot{r}, I would suggest using the chain rule to find expressions for \ddot{\theta} and \ddot{\phi}. You can start by writing out the expressions for \dot{\theta} and \dot{\phi} in terms of \dot{x}, \dot{y}, and \dot{z}, and then taking the derivatives with respect to time. This should give you equations for \ddot{\theta} and \ddot{\phi} in terms of \ddot{x}, \ddot{y}, and \ddot{z}. Then, you can use the equations you have already derived for \dot{x}, \dot{y}, and \dot{z} to substitute these values in and ultimately find expressions for \ddot{\theta} and \ddot{\phi} in terms of \ddot{r}.

Once you have these expressions, you can use them to find the acceleration of the heading angles as a function of the radial distance between the particles. This can be done by equating the equations you have derived for \ddot{\theta} and \ddot{\phi} to the equations you have for the acceleration of the heading angles in your original post. This should give you a system of equations that you can solve for f(r) and g(r).

I hope this helps guide you in finding the solution you are looking for. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification. Good luck!

1. What is the concept of nonholonomic particles?

The concept of nonholonomic particles refers to a type of mechanical system in which the motion of the particles is constrained by non-integrable constraints. In other words, the particles are not able to move freely in all directions and are subject to certain restrictions or limitations.

2. How does mutual potential affect the motion of two nonholonomic particles?

The mutual potential between two nonholonomic particles plays a crucial role in determining their motion. It is a function that describes the force or energy between the particles and affects the acceleration and direction of their movement.

3. Can the dynamics of two nonholonomic particles in mutual potential be solved analytically?

In most cases, the dynamics of two nonholonomic particles in mutual potential cannot be solved analytically. This is because the constraints imposed on the particles make it difficult to find closed-form solutions. Therefore, numerical methods are often used to study the behavior of these systems.

4. What are some applications of studying two nonholonomic particles in mutual potential?

The study of two nonholonomic particles in mutual potential has applications in various fields such as robotics, control theory, and biomechanics. Understanding the dynamics of these systems can help in the development of efficient and stable control algorithms and in analyzing the movement of biological systems.

5. Is there ongoing research on two nonholonomic particles in mutual potential?

Yes, there is ongoing research on this topic, particularly in the field of robotics. Scientists are constantly exploring new methods and algorithms to analyze and control the motion of nonholonomic particles in mutual potential, with the aim of improving the performance and efficiency of robotic systems.