How Does Metal Hydride Formation Occur?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the formation of metal hydrides. The speaker mentions looking at PCI plots and not understanding why molecular hydrogen is dissociated and then recombines during the absorption and desorption process. They also mention the sudden increase in concentration at certain pressures and their struggle to find an explanation for these processes. The reply suggests a theory of autocatalytic dissociation of hydrogen in metals and a model for reactions on metal surfaces. It is also noted that the solubility of hydrogen in a metal is temperature dependent.
mess1n
I'm very confused about how metal hydrides form. I'm looking at PCI plots and I see what's happening, but I have no idea why it is. For instance:

"Molecular hydrogen is dissociated at the surface before absorption; two H atoms recombine to H2 in the desorption process."

Why does this happen?

PCI Plot.gif

Also, I've attached a PCI plot. Can anyone explain why the concentration suddenly increases at certain pressures?

I've searched so many books and internet resources to try and find an explanation for these processes, to no avail, please help! :(

Andrew

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry to bump this, but I'm hoping someone sees it who will be able to help. Is this question in the right section?

There is a theory of autocatalytic dissociation of hydrogen in metals.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/f602850hk808h357/

And there is this
Hydrogen dissociation on metal surfaces – a model system for reactions on surfaces
Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing
Volume 67, Number 6, 627-635, DOI: 10.1007/s003390050834
A. Gross

Clearly to form hydrides, the proton has to diffuse through the metallic grains/crystal structure. The solubility of hydrogen in a metal is temperature dependent.

Thanks so much for the reply, I'll read through those articles now.

Metal hydrides form through a process called hydrogen absorption or hydrogenation. This process involves the reaction of a metal with hydrogen gas to form a metal hydride. The formation of metal hydrides is a complex process and depends on several factors such as the type of metal, temperature, and pressure.

In the case of molecular hydrogen absorption, the gas molecules first interact with the metal surface, causing the hydrogen molecules to dissociate into two H atoms. These atoms then diffuse into the metal lattice and bond with the metal atoms to form metal hydrides. This process is reversible, and at higher temperatures, the metal hydride can release hydrogen molecules through desorption.

The PCI plot you have attached shows the relationship between pressure and concentration of hydrogen in the metal. This plot is typically used to understand the kinetics of hydrogen absorption and desorption. At lower pressures, the concentration of hydrogen in the metal is low, but as the pressure increases, more hydrogen molecules are absorbed by the metal, leading to a sudden increase in concentration. This increase is due to the fact that at higher pressures, more hydrogen molecules are available for absorption, leading to a higher rate of absorption.

I understand that this process can be confusing, but it is essential to note that the formation of metal hydrides is a result of complex interactions between the metal and hydrogen gas. It is also worth mentioning that different metals have different absorption and desorption behaviors, which can also impact the formation of metal hydrides. I suggest consulting with a materials scientist or chemist who specializes in metal hydrides for a more in-depth explanation. I hope this helps clarify some of your confusion.

1. What is metal hydride formation?

Metal hydride formation refers to the process of combining a metal with hydrogen gas to form a compound known as a metal hydride. This involves the absorption of hydrogen atoms into the crystal lattice of the metal, resulting in a new material with unique properties.

2. How does metal hydride formation occur?

Metal hydride formation can occur through several methods, including chemical reactions between a metal and hydrogen gas, electrolytic processes, and mechanical alloying. These processes involve the introduction of hydrogen into the metal's lattice structure, causing it to form a hydride compound.

3. What are the benefits of metal hydride formation?

Metal hydride formation can result in materials with improved properties such as increased thermal conductivity, higher hydrogen storage capacity, and improved electrochemical performance. These materials are also lightweight, making them suitable for various applications in industries such as energy storage, transportation, and catalysis.

4. What are some examples of metal hydrides?

Some common examples of metal hydrides include magnesium hydride (MgH2), sodium borohydride (NaBH4), and lithium aluminum hydride (LiAlH4). These compounds have various uses, such as hydrogen storage in fuel cells and batteries, reducing agents in organic synthesis, and catalysts in industrial processes.

5. What are the challenges of metal hydride formation?

The main challenges of metal hydride formation include the high cost of production, difficulty in controlling the reaction process, and the limited number of readily available and stable metal hydrides. Additionally, some metal hydrides can be sensitive to air and moisture, requiring careful handling and storage.