Conditional Probability of Baby Survival

In summary, the probability that a randomly chosen pregnant woman's baby will survive without a C section is 99.9%.
flemmyd

Homework Statement

99% of all babies survive delivery. However, 10 % of all births involve Cesarean (C) sections, and when a C section is performed the baby survives 98% of the time. If a randomly chosen pregnant woman does not have a C section, what is the probability that her baby survives?

Homework Equations

P(E) = 1 - P(EC)
P(E U F) = P(E)+P(F)-P(EF)
P(E|F)=P(EF)/P(F)

The Attempt at a Solution

P(S) = .99 for baby survival
P(C) = .1 for C section
P(S|C) = .98 for babies surviving the C section
P(S|CC) = ??

So I tried P(S|CC) =P(SCC)/P(CC)
I know the dominator = .9. I tried solving for the numerator using:
P(SCC)= P(S)+P(C)-P(S U C), but at this point, I don't know what the P(S U C) is.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks to everyone who read/tried to help out, but i figured out the answer.

I just needed Bayes Theorem

P(E|C)*P(C)=P(C|B)P(B)

1. What is conditional probability of baby survival?

The conditional probability of baby survival refers to the likelihood of a newborn baby surviving given certain conditions or factors. This can include factors such as the baby's health, the mother's health, access to medical care, and environmental factors.

2. How is conditional probability of baby survival calculated?

Conditional probability of baby survival is calculated by dividing the number of babies who survive under a certain condition by the total number of babies born under that condition. For example, if 90 out of 100 babies born with a certain health condition survive, the conditional probability of survival for babies with that condition is 90%.

3. What factors influence the conditional probability of baby survival?

Factors that can influence the conditional probability of baby survival include the baby's health and weight at birth, the mother's health and age, access to medical care, and socioeconomic factors such as income and education level.

4. How is conditional probability of baby survival used in research and healthcare?

Conditional probability of baby survival is used in research and healthcare to understand the factors that contribute to infant mortality and to identify potential areas for intervention. It is also used in predicting the likelihood of a newborn surviving based on certain risk factors.

5. Can conditional probability of baby survival change over time?

Yes, the conditional probability of baby survival can change over time as medical advancements, changes in healthcare policies, and other factors can impact the likelihood of a newborn surviving. It is important for researchers and healthcare professionals to continuously monitor and track these changes to improve outcomes for newborns.