Magnitude of space debris

In summary: This method takes into account the dimension, phase angle, and albedo of the debris. In summary, the magnitude of a space debris is determined by its luminosity, which is calculated by multiplying the photon flux from 470 to 700 nm with the surface of the debris. This can then be used to calculate the absolute magnitude using the equation M = -2.5 log (F/F_V), taking into account the dimension, phase angle, and albedo of the debris.
elisa.pinat
Dear all,
I'm new here and I'm sorry if my problem has already been discussed anywhere else.
I have some problems in determining the magnitude of space debris as a function of their dimension and distance.
I have to find the visual absolute magnitude of a 30 cm diameter debris, at 36000 km and with an albedo of 0.2.
As a reference, I have taken the vega V flux above the atmosfere, 8.8E5 phot/cm2/s.
If I start taking into account the photon flux from 470 to 700 nm, and I consider a Lambertian surface with a phase angle of 0 for simplicity, I can find the reflected flux of photons, phot/cm2/s. Nevertheless, this flux is independent from the dimension of the debris, but it depends only on the phase angle and the albedo of the debris. When I try to consider the dimension of the object, and multiply the photon flux with the surface of the debris, I find the number of the reflected photons, express in phot/s. How can I relate this number to the absolute magnitude?
Thank you a lot

Astronomy news on Phys.org
for your help.The absolute magnitude of a space debris is determined by its luminosity, which is proportional to the amount of light it reflects. The total flux of light reflected by an object is calculated by multiplying the photon flux from 470 to 700 nm, with the surface of the debris. Once you have the total flux, you can use the equation M = -2.5 log (F/F_V) to calculate the absolute magnitude, where F is the total flux and F_V is the flux of Vega V above the atmosphere.

What is "magnitude of space debris"?

The magnitude of space debris refers to the size and quantity of man-made objects orbiting the Earth that are no longer functional or useful. This includes pieces of spacecraft, satellites, and other debris that have accumulated over time.

Why is the magnitude of space debris a concern?

The magnitude of space debris poses a major threat to both current and future space missions. With so many objects orbiting the Earth, collisions can occur which can damage or destroy functioning spacecraft and satellites. This can also create a dangerous environment for astronauts and can limit our ability to explore space.

How is the magnitude of space debris measured?

The magnitude of space debris is measured in terms of size and number of objects. Objects larger than 10 cm are tracked by ground-based radars and telescopes, while objects smaller than this are estimated based on statistical models. The number of objects is constantly monitored and updated by various space agencies and organizations.

What causes the magnitude of space debris to increase?

The main cause of the increase in space debris is human activity, specifically the launching and operation of spacecraft and satellites. When these objects are no longer needed, they often remain in orbit and add to the magnitude of space debris. Collisions and explosions of larger objects also contribute to the increase.

What is being done to address the magnitude of space debris?

There are ongoing efforts by space agencies and organizations to address the magnitude of space debris. This includes implementing guidelines for spacecraft design to reduce the creation of debris, actively tracking and monitoring objects in orbit, and developing technologies to remove debris from space. International cooperation and regulations are also being established to help mitigate the issue.