Estimate and apply transfer function to vibration data

In summary, the conversation is about reducing error in a controller for a Stewart platform. The person is trying to experiment with estimating the transfer function of the error and applying the inverse of the transfer function to the input data. They are using Labview and are having unexpected results with their current method. The expert suggests using the system identification toolbox in Matlab to simplify the process. The person mentions using mathscript within Labview as it is a requirement for the project.
lucvh
Hi,

I am trying to reduce the error in the controller for a stewart platform.

At the moment I am trying to experiment with estimating the transfer function of the error, and applying the inverse of the transfer function to the input data.

I have an input file sampled at 50hz of displacement data, and an output file measured at 50hz of acceleration data. Using labview i have run the input displacement file through a double derivative function and i am trying to estimate the transfer function between this double derivative of the input and the output file. At the moment i am using tfestimate and conv to filter the data but it is having unexpected results. What would be the most effective way to do this?

Kind Regards,

Luc

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have access to Matlab? You can use the system identification toolbox. It can do all the work for you.

See: http://www.mathworks.com/company/events/webinars/wbnr54213.html?id=54213&p1=869915375&p2=869915393

Last edited by a moderator:
I can use mathscript within labview, as the brief for the project states that it should be coded in labview.

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of vibration data, it represents the relationship between the input vibration signal and the resulting output vibration signal.

2. Why is it important to estimate and apply a transfer function to vibration data?

Estimating and applying a transfer function allows us to understand the behavior of a system and its response to vibrations. This information is crucial for identifying potential issues and making informed decisions about maintenance and repairs.

3. How is a transfer function estimated?

A transfer function can be estimated through various methods, such as experimental testing or using mathematical models. Experimental testing involves measuring the input and output signals of a system and using mathematical techniques to determine the transfer function. Mathematical models, on the other hand, use equations and known system parameters to estimate the transfer function.

4. Can a transfer function be applied to any type of vibration data?

Yes, a transfer function can be applied to any type of vibration data as long as there is a clear input and output relationship. This means that the input vibration signal must cause a measurable response in the output vibration signal.

5. What are the limitations of using a transfer function for vibration analysis?

There are some limitations to using a transfer function for vibration analysis. For example, it assumes linearity and time-invariance of the system, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not be suitable for nonlinear or complex systems. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations before applying a transfer function to vibration data.