Notation for Probability Distribution of Two Dice Rolls

• Thread starter Iclaudius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation is about finding the probability distribution for a random variable X, which is defined as the larger of two values when two dice are thrown, or the value if the values are the same. The problem is to express this statement mathematically. The solution involves writing conditional probabilities and using the hint provided by SW VandeCarr. The random variable U, which takes the maximum value of X and Y, can be written as U = MAX(X,Y), X ~ U(1,6) [Discrete], Y ~ U(1,6) [Discrete]. The final distribution for U can be obtained by listing conditional probabilities.
Iclaudius
Hello friends,

I have this problem it reads:

A random variable X is defined to be the larger of the two values when two dice are thrown, or the value if the values are the same. Find the probability distribution for X.

So I don't know how to state "X is defined to be the larger of the two values when two dice are thrown, or the value if the values are the same" mathematically. If someone could tell me, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for you time,
Claudius

Physics news on Phys.org
Note - I have already solved this question just want to know how to express that above statement in math.

Iclaudius said:
Note - I have already solved this question just want to know how to express that above statement in math.

Do you know how to write conditional probabilities?

Iclaudius said:

Lets say your random variable U takes the maximum value of X and Y.

You can write this mathematically as

U = MAX(X,Y), X ~ U(1,6) [Discrete], Y ~ U(1,6) [Discrete].

As for the distribution you can use SW VandeCarr's hint and list conditional probabilities to get a final distribution for U.

ah ok

Last edited:

What is the notation for the probability distribution of two dice rolls?

The notation for the probability distribution of two dice rolls is P(X), where X represents the sum of the two dice rolls.

What does the probability distribution of two dice rolls represent?

The probability distribution of two dice rolls represents the likelihood of obtaining a particular sum when rolling two dice.

How is the probability distribution of two dice rolls calculated?

The probability of obtaining a particular sum from two dice rolls is calculated by dividing the number of possible ways to get that sum by the total number of possible outcomes.

What is the expected value of the probability distribution of two dice rolls?

The expected value of the probability distribution of two dice rolls is the sum of each possible outcome multiplied by its probability.

How does the probability distribution of two dice rolls relate to the normal distribution?

The probability distribution of two dice rolls follows a discrete uniform distribution, which is a special case of the normal distribution in which all outcomes have equal probabilities. As the number of dice rolls increases, the probability distribution tends towards a normal distribution.