Lottery probabilty - graph problem

In summary: So in summary, if you have a problem and don't know which way to try to solve it, you should try to find a graph problem that can be solved with the given information.
andreass
I have a problem, but don't know which way to try to solve it.

There is lottery: 3 numbers will be drawn out of 14. Each ticket with 2 correct numbers win.
If 5-8-14 will be drawn, I'll be winning also with my ticket 5-8-13 or 1-8-14 etc.

Total possible tickets = 364 (combin[14,3]). Total winning pairs = 91 (combin[14,2]).
1 ticket covers 3 pairs, that means I need not less (but maybe more) 91/3 = 31 ticket to have a guaranteed win.
What is the minimum number of tickets needed?

Hypergeometric distribution isn't exact thing needed (but maybe it can be used)

I think it could be also viewed as a graph problem.
We have complete graph, each ticket is 3-clique. Each pair of numbers is one edge.
What is the smallest number of triangles needed, to get full graph (Edges can overlap)

for ex.
K4 needs 3 traingles, to cover.
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/3-simplex_graph.svg[/URL]

K5 needs 4 triangles
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/4-simplex_graph.svg[/URL]

K6 needs 6 triangles
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/5-simplex_graph.svg[/URL]

Anyway - I don't need exact solution, just advice for right approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there are 273 losing tickets, you need 274 to guarantee a win.

mathman said:
Since there are 273 losing tickets, you need 274 to guarantee a win.

I think I didn't write clear enough :)
It is possible to have 273 different combinations (lottery tickets) if draw 3 out of 14.
But I win if at least 2 of 3 numbers are correct.
What is the minimum number of tickets that I need to buy, to be sure I'll win?

91 is the number of doubles that can win. Each ticket contains 3 such doubles.
That means I need at least CEIL(91/3) = 31 tickets.
That is bottom limit, but it doesn't mean it's the minimum tickets needed.

Example - if there was lottery 3 out of 4 (and 2 correct numbers also win), then I would need minimum 3 tickets (like 1-2-3, 1-3-4 and 2-3-4) to have a guaranteed win.

To guarantee a win, calculate the number of losing tickets and add 1.

mathman said:
To guarantee a win, calculate the number of losing tickets and add 1.

Your advice is not much of a help.
In the first post I stated that I don't know how to calculate minimum tickets needed and with which numbers should they be filled.

So if I fill all the tickets needed with respectively needed combinations, there will be no loosing tickets.

Since you don't know in advance what the winning numbers will be, you simply need to calculate how many possible tickets there are (364) and how many are winners (my count is 34, but I could be wrong), so the minimum needed is the difference + 1 = 331.

I got 34 as 33 with 2 correct and 1 with all 3.

Last edited:

1. What is the probability of winning the lottery?

The probability of winning the lottery varies depending on the specific lottery game and the number of possible winning combinations. Generally, the probability is very low, often less than 1 in several million.

2. How do lottery odds and probabilities work?

Lottery odds and probabilities are determined by the number of possible winning combinations compared to the total number of combinations. For example, in a lottery game with 50 numbers to choose from, the odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 50 million.

3. Can you increase your chances of winning the lottery?

While there is no guaranteed way to increase your chances of winning the lottery, you can improve your odds by purchasing more tickets or joining a lottery pool with other players.

4. What is the difference between odds and probability in the context of the lottery?

Odds and probability are often used interchangeably in the context of the lottery, but they have slightly different meanings. Odds refer to the likelihood of an event occurring, while probability is the numerical representation of that likelihood.

5. How do I calculate the probability of winning the lottery?

To calculate the probability of winning the lottery, you need to know the total number of possible combinations and the number of winning combinations. The probability is then calculated by dividing the number of winning combinations by the total number of combinations.