Car Suspension: Analysing Forces & Specifications

In summary, the person is working on a project analyzing the forces on car suspension caused by potholes. They are looking for complete data and specifications for a standard type of suspension, including dimensions, damper and spring rates, stiffness ratio, and moment of inertia. However, they have been unable to find this information and are requesting assistance. Another person suggests checking an online forum for help.
mehdi karami
car suspension !

hi guys !
I'm analysing the forces on car suspension due to potholes as my project!
I need complete data and specifications of a typical type of suspension , such as dimensions,rates od damper and spring , stiffness ratio , moment of interia .
On other hand I couldn't find out any complete data about it !
I don't car which car or suspension choosed just tha case must be standard car !
any help .!
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org

it is all out there on the internet, amigo...you just have to look

mehdi karami said:
hi guys !
I'm analysing the forces on car suspension due to potholes as my project!
I need complete data and specifications of a typical type of suspension , such as dimensions,rates od damper and spring , stiffness ratio , moment of interia .
On other hand I couldn't find out any complete data about it !
I don't car which car or suspension choosed just tha case must be standard car !
any help .!
Regards

This thread may be of help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=326355

1. What is the purpose of a car suspension?

The purpose of a car suspension is to absorb and dampen the impact of bumps and uneven surfaces on the road, providing a smoother and more comfortable ride for passengers.

2. What forces are involved in a car suspension?

There are three main forces involved in a car suspension: compression, rebound, and lateral forces. Compression occurs when the suspension compresses due to the weight of the car, while rebound occurs when the suspension extends back to its original position. Lateral forces occur when the car turns or experiences side-to-side movement.

3. How does a car's weight affect the suspension?

A car's weight plays a crucial role in determining the appropriate suspension specifications. The weight of the car will determine the spring rate needed to support the car and the damping rate needed to control the car's movements.

4. What are some common suspension specifications to consider?

Some common suspension specifications to consider include spring rate, damping rate, ride height, and camber angle. These specifications will vary depending on the type of vehicle and its intended use.

5. How can I improve my car's suspension performance?

There are several ways to improve a car's suspension performance, such as upgrading to high-performance shocks and struts, installing stiffer springs, and adjusting the suspension geometry. It is important to consult with a professional and consider your specific driving needs before making any modifications.