Admiring the ATLAS LEGO Model: Not for 2000 Euro!

In summary, the conversation revolves around a Lego model of the ATLAS detector, which is impressive but expensive. Some individuals have personal connections or experiences related to the Lego headquarters. One person even has a similar model in their basement, which has a mysterious tunnel attached to it.
fourier jr
I want one! ... well maybe not for 2000 euro:

http://sascha.mehlhase.info/media/ATLAS%20LEGO%20model/2011-11-10%2010-21-41%20ATLAS%20LEGO%20model.jpg

http://sascha.mehlhase.info/media/ATLAS%20LEGO%20model/2011-11-08%2011-06-31%20ATLAS%20LEGO%20model.jpg

http://sascha.mehlhase.info/physics.php?open=atlaslego

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooooh!

Aaaaahhh!

That's pretty sweet. Wouldn't mind having one if it was cheaper.

I used to drive past the Lego US headquarters in CT on my way to East Longmeadow, MA to get to the home office of my employer. It's a bit odd. The headquarters is pretty impressive, but it's right across the road from a medium-security prison.

Wow! Okay, do NOT tell my boyfriend about this! Ever! He's bad enough with the expensive Star Trek Lego sets.

I have one just like it in my basement only larger and with a tube that attaches to the wall. I followed the tube and found it leads to a tunnel that goes on for miles. The worst thing is that since I first noticed it, small household items have been disappearing out of thin air as if they had been sucked into another dimension.

What is the ATLAS LEGO Model?

The ATLAS LEGO Model is a large-scale replica of the ATLAS detector used in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. It is made entirely out of LEGO bricks and was created by LEGO master builder, Jeroen van den Bos.

How big is the ATLAS LEGO Model?

The ATLAS LEGO Model is approximately 1:50 scale, meaning it is 50 times smaller than the real ATLAS detector. It measures 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) in diameter and weighs about 300 kilograms (660 pounds).

How long did it take to build the ATLAS LEGO Model?

The ATLAS LEGO Model took Jeroen van den Bos and his team approximately 80 hours to design and 350 hours to build. This includes researching the real ATLAS detector, designing the model, and assembling it with over 9,500 LEGO bricks.

Can I buy the ATLAS LEGO Model?

No, the ATLAS LEGO Model is not for sale. It was commissioned by the ATLAS Experiment at CERN and is now on display at the ATLAS Visitor Center in Geneva, Switzerland. However, you can purchase a smaller version of the model from Jeroen van den Bos' website for 200 euros.

Why was the ATLAS LEGO Model created?

The ATLAS LEGO Model was created to engage and educate the public about the ATLAS Experiment and the LHC at CERN. It aims to make complex scientific concepts more accessible and fun for people of all ages.