Is it possible to create a completely sealed room where a door can't be opened?

• Thread starter Blue Nuances
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a completely sealed room with a high pressure that would make it impossible to open the door inwards. The theories of pressure and temperature, as well as factors such as poor ventilation and wind, are considered. It is also mentioned that simply increasing the temperature would not be a feasible solution and that the transfer of heat through the walls would affect the pressure inside. The real-life example of being unable to open a car door underwater due to pressure is also mentioned.
Blue Nuances
Hi, this is my first post here so mods, if my question would be better directed somewhere else, please do tell me.

My knowledge of physics is only up till high school so I would greatly appreciate it if I could have your opinion on the following hypothetical situation:

Is it possible to create a completely sealed room (say, 4m by 4m by 3m) with a pressure so high such that you cannot move a door which opens inwards, into the room?

- Which physics theories would apply to this situation? I could only think of the combined gas law.
- What is the theoretical temperature which is required to generate this pressure? Assuming that an adult would be the person to open the door?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use a pump but it would never remove all the air completely.I also think that the pressure would rip the door to shreds anyway.

ZxcvbnM2000 said:
You could use a pump but it would never remove all the air completely.I also think that the pressure would rip the door to shreds anyway.

Thanks for replying!

I'm thinking of a situation where the pressure inside the room is so high compared to the pressure outside the room, that a person wouldn't be able to open the door inwards. In that case, a pump to completely remove the air within the room wouldn't be necessary, right? Would that still be possible?

Sounds like an airplane to me!

Thing is, it requires very little pressure. It can happen in a poorly (airflow) balanced room/building.

Just take the force you want the door to resist, multiply by 2 and divide by the area to get the pressure needed.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Sounds like an airplane to me!

Thing is, it requires very little pressure. It can happen in a poorly (airflow) balanced room/building.

What would the pressure difference between the inside of the room and the outside realistically be?

Also, in an airplane, the temperature difference between the interior of the plane and its environment varies by more than just a few degrees Celcius, doesn't it?

It doesn't take much pressure. A typical door is about 8 ft by 4 ft, which is about 4000 square inches. So even 0.5 psi would take about 1 ton of force to open.

... And temperature difference isn't relevant here unless you are trying to generate the pressure with heating.

russ_watters said:
... And temperature difference isn't relevant here unless you are trying to generate the pressure with heating.

Let's say a heater is placed within the room to increase the pressure. How much more would the temperature need to increase in a room that is 4m by 4m by 3m?

Blue Nuances said:
Let's say a heater is placed within the room to increase the pressure. How much more would the temperature need to increase in a room that is 4m by 4m by 3m?

To do WHAT?

The temperature outside an airplane is often at arctic temperatures like -50C.

this sounds like a suicide project

clearly, higher temp = more pressure but don't try raising temp to seal a door. like stated earlier, poor ventilation will have the biggest effect by creating a vacuum in your room. youd need to pair this with an extremely windy day lol

if its truly 100% sealed, let's just say youd be hurting your body before you use temperature to seal the door.

think of a car's cooling system if youre good with automotive at all. the coolant in a car usually operates from 185-210* F and that's around 13-16psi. its a lot of pressure but your heater won't go up to those temps

and you can't just think of sealing a room, raise temp and base pressure off that. your walls are going to sponge/transfer the heat so even if you use the right temp and math to get the pressure, reality will prove your numbers wrong

This effect can actually be seen in real life. For example, it is impossible to open a car door underwater (with human strength) without winding down the windows, because the pressure of the water outside is bigger than the pressure of the air inside. This effect is magnified by the fact that you can't compress liquids.

1. Can a completely sealed room really exist?

Yes, it is possible to create a completely sealed room. In fact, many laboratories and research facilities have such rooms for specific experiments or tests.

2. What materials would be needed to create a completely sealed room?

To create a completely sealed room, you would need materials that are airtight such as metal, concrete, or glass. The materials would also need to be strong enough to withstand pressure differentials.

3. How would you prevent air from escaping or entering the room?

In order to prevent air from escaping or entering the room, the walls, floors, and ceiling would need to be tightly sealed. This can be achieved by using specialized sealants and gaskets. The room would also need to have a ventilation system that can be shut off completely.

4. Is it possible for a completely sealed room to have a door?

Yes, it is possible for a completely sealed room to have a door. However, the door would need to be specially designed and sealed to ensure that no air can escape or enter when it is closed. Additionally, the door would need to be opened and closed carefully to maintain the seal.

5. What would be the purpose of creating a completely sealed room?

A completely sealed room can serve various purposes such as studying the effects of different atmospheric conditions on materials or creating a controlled environment for certain experiments or processes. It can also be used for testing the airtightness of products or equipment.