How to find terminal velocity from experimental data?

In summary, you need to fit your data with an ecuation of this style, and then solve an equation for Vt in terms of V1 and V2.
greco117

Homework Statement

So I have a set of data, velocity and time, of a falling object. So the question is: how can I get the value for the terminal speed?

Homework Equations

Since we're talking about terminal velocity an ecuation that descrives a Velocity vs time graph should be of the form:
[itex]V =Vt\left(1-e^\left(\frac{-bt}{m}\right)\right)[/itex]

where [itex]Vt[/itex] is ther terminal velocity
[itex]m[/itex] is the mass
[itex]b[/itex] is a constant which depends of the caracteristics of the body
and [itex]t[/itex] is the time

The Attempt at a Solution

So I need to fit my data with an ecuation of this style,my first thought was that I had to do a logistic regression but that didn't look right (the ecuation is similar but is not the same),
Then I thought doing a little of algebra
[itex]Vt-V=Vt\left(e^\left(\frac{-bt}{m}\right)\right)[/itex]
And then All I needed to do was an exponential regression but again that doesn't look like the best way because I'm already giving [itex]Vt[/itex] a value

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have got measurement data at time t1 and 2t1 you can determine Vt by solving the system of equations
Vt-V1=Vte-Bt1
Vt-V2=Vte-2Bt1.
(B=b/m)

Square the first equation and divide by the second. The exponentials cancels, and you get an equation for Vt in terms of V1 and V2, easy to solve.

Find as many pairs as you can, and take the average of Vt-s.

ehild

How many data points do you have?
Do you have enough to plot a graph of v against t?

ehild said:
If you have got measurement data at time t1 and 2t1 you can determine Vt by solving the system of equations
Vt-V1=Vte-Bt1
Vt-V2=Vte-2Bt1.
(B=b/m)

Square the first equation and divide by the second. The exponentials cancels, and you get an equation for Vt in terms of V1 and V2, easy to solve.

Find as many pairs as you can, and take the average of Vt-s.

ehild
So you're saying that I should do the following?
(Vt-V1)^2=Vt^2*e^-2bt
and then divided by
(VT-V2)=Vt*e^-2bt
and then I should get:
(Vt-V1)^2/(Vt-V2)=Vt
but that ecuation is not so easy to solve unless I've misunderstood the procedure

truesearch said:
How many data points do you have?
Do you have enough to plot a graph of v against t?
yes, I have 56 data points, the problem lies in the graph because the points don't seem to have a tendency to a certain value, I thought about taking the maximum as VT but I don't like that solution.
Any suggestion?

greco117 said:
So you're saying that I should do the following?
(Vt-V1)^2=Vt^2*e^-2bt
and then divided by
(VT-V2)=Vt*e^-2bt
and then I should get:
(Vt-V1)^2/(Vt-V2)=Vt
but that ecuation is not so easy to solve unless I've misunderstood the procedure

That equation is equivalent to (Vt-V1)^2=Vt(Vt-V2).
Expand both sides of the equation. : Vt^2-2VtV1+V1^2=Vt^2-VtV2.

Vt^2 cancels. -2VtV1+V1^2=-VtV2. Isolate Vt.
Vt=V1^2/(2V1-V2)

ehild

thank you!
seems obvious now, that would do it

I guess you have got some data-processing program, Excel perhaps? As you have enough data points, it is possible to get the approximate derivative of the V(t) function. V' = VtBe-Bt. The plot ln(V') vs time has to be straight line, with slope -VtB and crossing the vertical axis at VtB.

ehild

1. How do I collect data to find terminal velocity?

To collect data for finding terminal velocity, you will need to conduct an experiment where you drop an object from a certain height and record its velocity at different time intervals. This can be done using a high-speed camera or by using a stopwatch and measuring the distance traveled by the object at each time interval.

2. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass, size, and shape of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the surrounding fluid. Other factors like air resistance and gravitational force also play a role in determining the terminal velocity of an object.

3. How do I calculate terminal velocity from experimental data?

To calculate terminal velocity from experimental data, you can use the formula v = (m * g) / (c * p * A), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, c is the drag coefficient, p is the density of the fluid, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my experimental data for finding terminal velocity?

To ensure the accuracy of your experimental data, you should conduct multiple trials and take the average of the results. You should also make sure to control all the variables that may affect the terminal velocity of the object, such as the height from which the object is dropped and the surrounding temperature and humidity.

5. What is the significance of finding terminal velocity?

Finding terminal velocity can help us understand the motion of objects in fluids and how different factors affect their speed and acceleration. It is also important in fields like aerodynamics and fluid mechanics, where the knowledge of terminal velocity is crucial in designing and testing different objects and vehicles.