Creating a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF: Questions Answered

In summary: I don't understand what you're asking. Power ratings for servos usually don't go past a certain value (like 600W) because beyond that, the motors can start to heat up and start to give problems. Generally speaking, you want a servo that is capable of generating a force of at least 5 times the weight of the arm it's going to be lifting.
PrudensOptimus
Hello,

I have a question regarding creating a "mechanical" arm which would have the ability to move freely in 2DOF ( ie. lift up and back down , kind of like our human arms, but when it goes down, it can go down a lot further than we can ).
I saw bots like ASIMO use those umm... looks like a round thingie, what are those and how do they rotate them? I dun see any motors near them.

-Thanks and I'm just curious...

Engineering news on Phys.org
The just look like pin (hinge) joints to me, encased in a kind of turret which allows rotational movement. They look like they're probably actuated just by a couple of motors, with a pinion/spur kind of arrangement. One motor would extend the upper arm, another would rotate the turret. Probably a lot easier to engineer than a ball and socket joint (as we have).

Would you like to show me some graphical representations, illustrations of your socket joints? and how to arrange motors inside so that it can rotate the joints?

Thanks.

When I said "ball and socket joints (as we have)" I meant we as humans!

Just think of your shoulder :-)

how do I attach motors on to it so that I can move the joint in the 2DOF?

Prudens, as I suggested, you could have one motor with a pinion driving a gear to raise and lower the arm, and another motor with a pinion driving a gear to rotate the turret containing the pin (hinge) joint. You've seen ASIMO, you can picture it.

Your terminology is off - a DOF is the abilty to rotate and both directions are covered by it.

So up and down on one joint is 1 DOF.

And up and down with a second joint that allows left and right is 2DOF.

There are other combinations of joints to achieve different levels of articulation but a ball and socket offers more like 3DOF in one joint but now how do you move such an arrangement? A hexapod comes to mind.

For moving an arm like you're describing, a very optimal solution is the worm gear arrangement since it offers great mechanical advantage and when the electric motor is not spinning the arm will be locked automatically.

I am just a curious being... I am not engineering student. So Please bear with me,

How do you set up a worm gear correctly? Is there graphical tutorials?

The small motors that controls ASIMO aren't really motors at all
they are powerful servos that very accurately control the rotation of the shaft.
they also have limits to prevent the them from fully rotating

how do you determine whether one is a powerful motor/servo? what specifications do you look for?

Also, I wonder where do they situate the motor/servos in ASIMO? What kind of gear train would they use?

Not really a point of distinction. A servo is an electric motor with a feedback mechanism. You can take pretty much any DC electric motor and attach a feedback mechanism and electronics to make it a servo.

You guys/gals are great,

How do you calculate the amount of force needed by the motor to lift the arm up? Suppose the arm has mass of M and the object the arm is holding is mass m. And what specification in a motor/servo do you look for to see what is its max power capable of output?

What is a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF?

A "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF is a type of robotic arm that has two degrees of freedom (DOF), meaning it can move in two directions. This type of arm is commonly used in various industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and aerospace.

How does a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF work?

A "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF works by using a series of motors, gears, and joints to control its movement. These components work together to allow the arm to move in two different directions, similar to a human arm.

What are the applications of a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF?

A "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF has a wide range of applications, including assembly line manufacturing, surgery, prosthetics, and space exploration. It can also be used in hazardous environments where it would be unsafe for humans to work.

What are the advantages of using a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF?

Some advantages of using a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF include its precision, speed, and strength. These arms can perform repetitive tasks with a high level of accuracy and can also lift heavy objects without getting tired.

What are the challenges in creating a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF?

One of the main challenges in creating a "Mechanical" Arm with 2DOF is designing and programming the arm to mimic the movements of a human arm. This requires advanced engineering and coding skills. Additionally, ensuring the safety and reliability of the arm is also a significant challenge.