How Can I Get This Equation From These 3 Equations

• Thread starter Mohammad-Za
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the position of an object in ballistic trajectory on Earth, which is given by substituting the value of t into two equations using algebra. However, the resulting equation is not an ellipse, but a parabola, due to the use of flat-Earth coordinates. The speaker doubts the validity of this equation and mentions that their teacher claimed to have proven it, but did not provide a proof.
Mohammad-Za
Hi, I've Read an Article That Says:
If:
EQ.1:
gif.gif

and EQ2:
http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?x=vtcos(\theta)

and EQ3:
http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?y=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2 + vtsin(\theta)

We Can Get The Following Equation (an Ellipse Equation) By Substituting t(EQ1) into EQ.2 and EQ.3 Using StraightForward Algebra:
http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?(y-\frac{v^2}{4g})^2 + \frac{1}{4}x^2=(\frac{v^2}{4g})^2

But How it is Possible?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe that the coordinates ##x## and ##y## defined here will satisfy an elliptical equation. These are the equations for the position of an object propelled into a ballistic trajectory on Earth. If you solve eq. 2 for ##t## and then substitute into eq. 3, you will get the equation of a parabola:

$$ y= - \frac{g}{2v^2 \cos^2\theta}
\left( x - \frac{ v^2 \sin(2\theta)}{2 g } \right)^2
+ \frac{ v^2 \sin^2\theta}{2 g }.$$

This is an approximation to the true elliptical gravitational orbit of the object. The reason we don't get an ellipse is because ##x## is a flat-Earth coordinate that does not follow the direction of the true curvature of the Earth's surface. In polar coordinates the elliptical nature of the orbit should emerge. I believe that this article should have a correct analysis of the situation.

Thank you. But my teacher said he had proved the equation. But he didn't prove it t for me

1. How do I determine which equation to use to solve a problem?

When trying to solve a problem using equations, it is important to first identify the given information and the unknown variable. Then, look for equations that contain those variables and choose the one that is most relevant to the problem at hand.

2. Can I combine multiple equations to get the desired equation?

Yes, it is possible to combine multiple equations to get the desired equation. This can be done by manipulating the equations algebraically, such as adding or subtracting them, or by substituting variables from one equation into another.

3. What if I can't solve for the unknown variable with just 3 equations?

If you are unable to solve for the unknown variable using just 3 equations, you may need to gather more information or find additional equations. This could involve using data from experiments, making assumptions, or using equations from different sources.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the desired equation?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks for finding the desired equation, there are strategies that can make the process easier. These include organizing and labeling your equations, breaking them down into smaller parts, and using logical reasoning to eliminate unnecessary equations.

5. How can I check if my final equation is correct?

To check if your final equation is correct, you can substitute the values from the given information into the equation and see if it yields the correct result. You can also plug in different values for the unknown variable and see if the equation holds true for all of them.