Solving Partial Derivatives Problem: Limit of (xy)/((x^2)+(y^2))^(1/2)

If you cannot find an upper bound, then try to show that the limit does not exist.In summary, the problem is to find the limit of (xy)/((x^2)+(y^2))^(1/2) as (x,y) approaches (0,0). The approach of converting to polar coordinates and using the squeeze theorem to find an upper bound on the limit is a valid method. However, it is important to note that even if the limit of each directional cross section exists, the limit may still not exist if the limit depends on theta.
sjsustudent2004
i am trying to solve the following problem:

find the limit of (xy)/((x^2)+(y^2))^(1/2)

as (x,y) approaches (0,0).

i know it's kind of hard to read, but that is xy divided by root(x-squared + y-squared).

the area where i am having a problem is in my arithmatic. how do i multiply the numerator by root(x-squared + y-squared). i know that it should be able to multiply out, and then cancel out the denominator...and the limit should be 0. i just don't know how to show it.

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{xy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} [/tex]

Separate the numerator and the denominator into a product of two functions. The limit of the product is the product of the limits.

want the limit of this as x and y approach zero
[tex] \frac{xy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]
perhaps u could try using polar coordinates where
[tex] x = r \cos(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] y = r \sin(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] r^2 = x^2+y^2 [/tex]

then your limit becomes
[tex]\frac{r^2 \cos(\theta) \sin(\theta)}{r}[/tex]
[tex]=r \cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)[/tex]
as r - > 0
and your limit is zero (i hope)

i don't believe we're allowed to take the limit of r. but thanks for trying though =)

(Sorry, I clicked on "edit" when I meant to "quote"!)

Last edited by a moderator:
sjsustudent2004 said:
i don't believe we're allowed to take the limit of r. but thanks for trying though =)

Why wouldn't you be "allowed to take the limit of r"? Since r measures the distance from (0,0) converting to polar coordinates changes a problem with two variable (x and y) going to 0 to a problem with only one (r) going to 0. As long as the result does NOT depend on θ, it is the limit. If the result does depend on &theta, then the limit does not exist.

HallsofIvy said:
Why wouldn't you be "allowed to take the limit of r"? Since r measures the distance from (0,0) converting to polar coordinates changes a problem with two variable (x and y) going to 0 to a problem with only one (r) going to 0. As long as the result does NOT depend on θ, it is the limit. If the result does depend on &theta, then the limit does not exist.

i learned something myself from this thread, i wasnt sure what happened when the limit depended on theta but now i do. thanks for the extra info hallsofivy

Halls I think you might be falling for a classic fallacy. Consider the function [tex]r/\theta[/tex] where [tex]0 < \theta \le 2\pi[/tex]. So [tex] \theta [/tex] never equals 0 and for each theta the limit is 0 as r approaches 0. But what is the actual definition of limit. For each epsilon there is a delta such that if (x,y) is with delta of (0,0) then f(x,y)<epsilon. So in this case we are saying that there is a delta>0 such that if r<delta then f(x,y)<1. But no matter how small delta is there is always a theta that is smaller than delta/2 so [tex]\delta/2\theta > 1[/tex]. So there is no limit.

This is a very cooked example and I seem to recall there are ones that appear innocuous. Moral of the story is that if the limit depends on theta then the limit does not exist but the limit may still not exist even if each directional cross section converges.

Vlad's proof is basically right. Just complete it with given epsilon>0 take delta=epsilon. So if r<delta then [tex]|r \cdot cos(\theta)\cdot sin(\theta)| \le r<\delta [/tex]

Last edited:
Use the squeeze theorem (i.e. find an upper bound)

[tex]\left|\frac{xy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right|\leq \frac{|xy|}{\sqrt{x^2}}=\frac{|xy|}{|x|}[/tex]

This is usually the standard method of attack. First try a few paths. If they all give the same limit, try to see if the limit exists by finding an upper bound.

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus to determine the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value of a function at a point where it may be undefined or difficult to evaluate.

3. How do I solve partial derivatives problems?

To solve a partial derivatives problem, you must first determine the function's partial derivatives with respect to each of its variables. Then, use the basic rules of differentiation to find the partial derivatives. Finally, evaluate the partial derivatives at the given point to find the rate of change.

4. What is the chain rule in partial derivatives?

The chain rule in partial derivatives is a rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

5. How is the limit of (xy)/((x^2)+(y^2))^(1/2) solved?

To solve the limit of (xy)/((x^2)+(y^2))^(1/2), we must first rewrite the expression in terms of u and v, where u=x^2 and v=y^2. Then, we can use the chain rule and other basic differentiation rules to find the partial derivatives of u and v with respect to x and y. Finally, we can substitute these values into the expression and evaluate the limit to find the rate of change at the given point.