Calculating Electric Field Energy in Hydrogen Bohr Atom | 1.00e-15 Radius

• Thread starter bertholf07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phyiscs
In summary, "Help Me Please (Physics)" is a common phrase used by students struggling with physics. Physics can be challenging for some due to its complex and abstract concepts, but with proper studying and practice, anyone can excel in it. Some common topics covered in physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. Physics is important as it provides a foundation for many scientific disciplines and has practical applications in various fields. To improve understanding, it is helpful to practice regularly and seek assistance, as well as relate concepts to real-life situations and use visual aids or simulations.
bertholf07
Cannot Figure This Out?

How would I calculate the total electric field energy assuming that an electron and a proton have a radius of 1.00e-15 "This is a hydrogen Bohr Atom as well"

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know any form or somewhat idea of the equation to calculate it that would be helpfull too I have been searching the interenet for hours trying to figure this out

To calculate the total electric field energy in a hydrogen Bohr atom with a radius of 1.00e-15, we can use the formula for electric potential energy, U = -kqQ/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, q and Q are the charges of the electron and proton respectively, and r is the distance between them.

First, we need to determine the charges of the electron and proton. In a hydrogen atom, the proton has a charge of +e (1.6e-19 C) and the electron has a charge of -e.

Next, we can plug in the values into the formula: U = -k(-e)(+e)/1.00e-15 = 8.99e9(1.6e-19)(1.6e-19)/1.00e-15 = 2.29e-18 J.

This is the total electric potential energy of the hydrogen atom at a radius of 1.00e-15. To convert this to electric field energy, we can use the formula E = U/q, where E is the electric field energy and q is the charge of the electron.

Thus, E = (2.29e-18 J)/-e = -2.29e-18 J/e = 2.29e-18 N/C.

This is the electric field energy at a radius of 1.00e-15 in a hydrogen Bohr atom. It is important to note that this calculation assumes a simplified model of the atom and does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics.

1. What is "Help Me Please (Physics)" about?

"Help Me Please (Physics)" is a popular phrase used by students struggling with physics concepts or problems. It is often used as a plea for assistance or clarification in understanding the subject.

2. Is physics a difficult subject?

Physics can be challenging for some students because it deals with complex and abstract concepts. However, with proper studying and practice, anyone can understand and excel in physics.

3. What are some common topics covered in physics?

Some common topics in physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. These topics cover the study of motion, forces, energy, light, and matter, among others.

4. Why is physics important?

Physics is a fundamental science that helps us understand how the world works. It provides the foundation for many other scientific disciplines and has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is essential to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try to relate the concepts to real-life situations and use visual aids or simulations to aid your understanding.