Question about fast neutron leakage calculations

In summary, fast neutron leakage calculations are a method used to estimate the amount of neutrons that escape from a nuclear reactor during operation. This calculation is important in ensuring the safety and efficiency of the reactor, as well as understanding its neutron flux distribution. The calculation involves taking into account factors such as the reactor's design, materials, and operating conditions to determine the leakage rate. Advanced computer programs and simulations are used to accurately predict the fast neutron leakage and improve reactor design and operation.
Warpspeed13
Ok so the equation for the probability that a fast neutron will not leek out of a non infinite mass is
Pfnl= exp(-(Bg)^2 Tth) so Bg is the geometric buckling and for a sphere that value is (pie/r)^2. My question is what is exp? And what is Tth / how do I get the value of it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
exp refers to the exponential function: exp(x) means ex. I don't know what Tth means.

Cool we'll one piece down. We've got 2/3 of the equation. So were in good shape for doing government work maybe not jazz but definitely government work.

Warpspeed13 said:
Ok so the equation for the probability that a fast neutron will not leek out of a non infinite mass is
Pfnl= exp(-(Bg)^2 Tth) so Bg is the geometric buckling and for a sphere that value is (pie/r)^2. My question is what is exp? And what is Tth / how do I get the value of it?
It would help to have the source of the equation.

I believe Tth is the 'neutron age' in units of (length)2 where length would usually be in cm or m, depending on one's preference.

T would normally be the Greek letter 'tau' and th indicates thermal (it depends on the time it takes to slow from fast to thermal energies).

For the theory, see the following starting with equation 17.
http://mragheb.com/NPRE 402 ME 405 Nuclear Power Engineering/Fermi Age Theory.pdf

Last edited:
Warpspeed13 said:
The source was http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_factor_formula equation five. I was confused because it gave two answeres as to the value of Tth. Also what units is this formulas answer in? Percent or something else?
The 6 parameters are dimensionless.

The values are well described.

η = The number of fission neutrons produced per absorption in the fuel > 1

ε = The fast fission factor = (total number of fission neutrons) / (number of fission neutrons from thermally induced fissions) > 1

the other four parameters are fractions or probabilities less than 1.

Generally, k > 1, but a reactor is 'critical' when k = 1, and k = k * nonleakage/nonloss probability.

The buckling has units of inverse length squared, e.g., cm-2, and age (tau) has units of cm2.

The exponential function gives dimensionless number.

Sorry if your having to spell this out but which Tth is used in the Pfnl equation? I'm Farley new to this.

Also off topic question: When a D-D fusion occurs is the resulting neutron always at 2.5Mev?

Warpspeed13 said:
Sorry if your having to spell this out but which Tth is used in the Pfnl equation? I'm Farley new to this.
What does one mean by "which Tth"? The neutron age (to thermal energy) is a characteristic of a particular reactor core design, i.e. its a function of the materials and their cross-section. It is a simple approximation of a rather complex system. A given Tth value would likely be based on the most probable or mean fast neutron energy to the thermal cutoff value, or mean thermal energy. In two-group diffusion theory, Tth = D1/∑1, where the 1 signifies the fast group over which D and ∑ are evaluated.

Farley? Farley is the name of a nuclear plant.

Also off topic question: When a D-D fusion occurs is the resulting neutron always at 2.5Mev?
The d+d reaction has two possible outcomes, either 3He + n or t + p. In the case of the former, the total energy is at least 3.27 MeV, and of that, neutron receives about 2.45 MeV. The energy of the products would be a combination of the initial kinetic energy of the reactants and the binding energy for the products, which must be balanced, i.e., conservation of energy and momentum applies.

Cool thank you for the help.

1. What is fast neutron leakage?

Fast neutron leakage is the process by which high energy neutrons escape from a nuclear reactor. These neutrons are produced during nuclear fission reactions and have the potential to cause damage to the reactor if not properly contained.

2. Why is it important to calculate fast neutron leakage?

Calculating fast neutron leakage is important because it allows scientists to assess the safety and efficiency of a nuclear reactor. By understanding how many neutrons are escaping, we can make adjustments to the reactor design to prevent potential accidents and improve overall performance.

3. How is fast neutron leakage calculated?

Fast neutron leakage is typically calculated using computer simulations and mathematical models. These models take into account factors such as reactor geometry, materials, and operating conditions to estimate the number of neutrons that will escape.

4. What are the potential consequences of fast neutron leakage?

If fast neutron leakage is not properly controlled, it can lead to a number of serious consequences. These include increased risk of radiation exposure for workers and the surrounding community, damage to the reactor core, and potential release of radioactive material into the environment.

5. How do scientists prevent and control fast neutron leakage?

To prevent and control fast neutron leakage, scientists and engineers use a variety of techniques and safety measures. These can include designing the reactor with materials that can absorb neutrons, using control rods to regulate the number of neutrons in the core, and implementing safety protocols and emergency shutdown procedures.