Why do some integrals require correction for extreme precision?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for correction in even the simplest integrals to achieve extreme precision. The concept of extreme precision is defined and the difference between analytical and numerical integration is explained. Links to useful resources for further information on numerical integration are also provided.
bobie
Gold Member
I have read that even the simplest integrals (like y=x2) might need some correction if we want to reach an extreme precision. Is that really so?
Can you explain why or give me some useful links?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bobie said:
I have read that even the simplest integrals (like y=x2) might need some correction if we want to reach an extreme precision. Is that really so?
Thanks

Define "extreme precision".

Integrals which can be done analytically (such as the integral of [itex]x^2[/itex]) cannot be more precise.

If you can only do an integral numerically then you are constrained by the fact that computers can only ever do a finite number of calculations on a finite subset of the rational numbers, so there's always going to be some error; the question is whether the error can be made small enough so that you can ignore it in the context of whatever your actual problem is.

Likes 1 person
bobie said:
Thanks

No. ## \int_a^b x^2 \,dx = 2(b - a) ## there is no "correction" involved.

Can you explain why you think this or give us a useful link?

MrAnchovy said:
No. ## \int_a^b x^2 \,dx = 2(b - a) ## there is no "correction" involved.

Don't you mean,

[tex] \int_a^bx^2 dx = \frac{1}{3}\left( b^3 - a^3 \right)? [/tex]

bobie said:
If you use a numerical technique, the results are generally imprecise. As already mentioned in this thread, if you are lucky enough to know the antiderivative of the function you're integrating, the results will be exact.
bobie said:
Thanks
There are lots of numerical methods for integration - trapezoid rule, Simpson's rule, many others. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_integration for more information.

collinsmark said:
Don't you mean,
[tex] \int_a^bx^2 dx = \frac{1}{3}\left( b^3 - a^3 \right)? [/tex]
Oops yes of course, thank you - now how did that happen? :blush:

What is the precision of an integral?

The precision of an integral refers to the level of accuracy with which the integral value is calculated. It is a measure of how close the calculated value is to the true value of the integral.

Why is precision important in integrals?

Precision is important in integrals because it determines the reliability of the results. A higher precision means a more accurate and reliable value, while a lower precision may lead to errors and incorrect conclusions.

How is precision calculated for integrals?

The precision of an integral is typically calculated by comparing the calculated value to the exact value of the integral. It is often expressed as a percentage or a decimal value.

What factors can affect the precision of an integral?

Several factors can affect the precision of an integral, including the accuracy of the numerical method used for integration, the number of intervals or steps used, and the complexity of the function being integrated.

How can precision be improved in integrals?

Precision in integrals can be improved by using more accurate numerical methods, increasing the number of intervals or steps used, and simplifying the function being integrated. Additionally, using a higher precision data type can also improve the accuracy of the results.