PF is sponsoring the 2014 WI Science Festival

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums is proud to announce their sponsorship of the Wisconsin Science Festival which runs from October 16 - 19, 2014. The festival's mission is to inspire and engage people in the world of science and discovery and is presented by Madison's science and arts community. The festival has satellite events all over the state and offers a variety of presentations and workshops, including "The Art and Science of Origami" and a hands-on origami workshop. The festival also has a presence on Facebook and Twitter. During the festival, there will be daily updates and photos on PF's Twitter page. PF will also have a booth at the Town Center in the Discovery Building and will be giving out PF goodies and showcasing PF 4.
Physics Forums is proud to announce that this year we are a sponsor for the Wisconsin Science Festival! The fest runs from October 16 – 19, 2014.

Mission Statement
The mission of the Wisconsin Science Festival is to inspire and engage us all in the enterprise of science and discovery; to cultivate curiosity and communicate the power of knowledge and creativity to change our world view; to promote innovation and to cultivate the next generation of global citizens. The Wisconsin Science Festival is presented by a growing coalition of Madison's science and arts community headquartered in Madison, Wis.

The festival is headquartered in Madison, WI but they have satellite events all over the state. Check the website for information http://www.wisconsinsciencefest.org/wsf-about.php [Broken]

I'll be posting weekly news and information leading up to the festival. During the festival I'll be there tweeting all the interesting things I find out. If you are in the midwest this would be a great chance to meet up!

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/WiSciFest

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/WIscifest

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one of the presentations

The Art and Science of Origami
"Details:
Experience the intersection of art and science through origami. See the award-winning independent film "Between the Folds" by Vanessa Gould (run time 56 minutes) featuring 10 artists and scientists exploring "modern-day paperfolding." Learn more about the film at www.BetweenTheFolds.com. After the film, get a chance to try origami in a hands-on workshop."

SaturdayOct 18, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Greg Bernhardt said:
During the festival I'll be there tweeting all the interesting things I find out. If you are in the midwest this would be a great chance to meet up!
Tweeting from Madison; right? Any recommendations; hotels, etc?

dlgoff said:
Tweeting from Madison; right? Any recommendations; hotels, etc?

You got it! Thinking of stopping by?

There's a good chance. Not every day you can meet "The Man". :approve:

dlgoff said:
There's a good chance. Not every day you can meet "The Man". :approve:

That would be awesome! Once I know my schedule better I'll let you know and you can figure out if it works for you to come visit :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
That would be awesome! Once I know my schedule better I'll let you know and you can figure out if it works for you to come visit :)
Thanks. It's only an eight hour drive from here. :thumbs:

I think our involvement in the festival is great! Great job Greg!

Greg Bernhardt said:
What colors? I don't want us to match :D
I was thinking this one for the festival. :tongue2:

shirt.jpg

And this one for dinning out. :smile:

t.jpg

What do you think?

dlgoff said:
I was thinking this one for the festival. :tongue2:

And this one for dinning out. :smile:

What do you think?

Looks classy!

I'll likely plan to be there the Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'll post when I know for sure.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll likely plan to be there the Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'll post when I know for sure.
Thanks for the update. I'm planning on dropping in on a couple of friends in Des Moines on the way. I'll probably spend the night and arrive there early the next afternoon. I'm flexible on the dates.

PF is getting a booth! I'll be there 9am-2pm on the 16th, 17th and 18th handing out PF goodies, spreading the good word and showing off the new PF 4.0! If you're in the area come on out and we can have a chat! I'd love to meet some PF Members!

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF is getting a booth! I'll be there 9am-2pm on the 16th, 17th and 18th handing out PF goodies, spreading the good word and showing off the new PF 4.0! If you're in the area come on out and we can have a chat! I'd love to meet some PF Members!
That's outstanding. So the booth will be at The Town Center in the Discovery Building? I plan on being there.

Here's Location, Hours & Parking information for anyone planing to Visit.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
@dlgoff if you come on Thursday I can get you a free lunch :)
Sounds like the time to be there. Thanks. :)

Big news! My mom will be helping me on the Thursday and Friday. Everyone should meet Mama Bernhardt!

Watch out for us wearing our professional PF polos too!

Attachments

• polo.jpg
    polo.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
So, funny story. I bought 1500 pencils with PF's URL on them. Got them today and I ended up ordering golf pencils. So they are all 1/2 size. Lol no wonder they were so cheap. :D

The festival starts Thursday morning. PF will be tweeting updates and photos using the hashtag #WIscifest

Awesome first day! Got to interact and show PF to hundreds of people. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Greg Bernhardt said:
All set up. @dlgoff manning the station View attachment 74504

He wore his dinner attire to work? :))

Wish I could be there. I spent 3 hours on Tuesday night trying to figure out if I could make it in time, and afford it.
There were lots of variables, and lots of unknowns.

"Would it be better to take Van Galder from O'Hare, and rent a car in Madison, or should I rent a car at O'Hare"?

By midnight, I'd wished I'd used the homework template, gave up, and went to sleep.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Next time Om! I'd love to hang out.

Here are a couple listings in the program

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1413513403.889201.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1413513420.235465.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and StevieTNZ
Greg Bernhardt said:
Day 2 awesome crowd!...
Did anyone ask you a physics question you couldn't answer?
That always happens to me when I wear my PF t-shirts.
:)

Glad to hear it's going so well :-)

The festival expo is all over. Overall it was an extremely positive experience. We handed out over 1500 PF pencils. Talked to many scientists and students about PF. Saw hundreds of little faces light up when they touched the plasma ball. A big thanks goes to @dlgoff who helped represent PF at the booth for two days. Now, I must sleep :D

Likes Borek and OmCheeto
Thanks Greg. Your having PF to participate at the Festival definitely had a positive influence in the promotion of science; as evidenced be those "Little faces". But I'd put the lighted up figure in the thousands range. Seriously. :)

I need sleep too but plan on posting some good stuff later.

Likes Borek and OmCheeto
Greg Bernhardt said:
The festival expo is all over. Overall it was an extremely positive experience. We handed out over 1500 PF pencils. Talked to many scientists and students about PF. Saw hundreds of little faces light up when they touched the plasma ball. A big thanks goes to @dlgoff who helped represent PF at the booth for two days. Now, I must sleep :D

Yay!

Now I have to run off and see how many; "How the heck does a plasma ball work?" threads have been posted. :)

OmCheeto said:
Did anyone ask you a physics question you couldn't answer?
Some came close especially considering my limited science background, but I maneuvered around the questions quite well I think :)

dlgoff said:
I need sleep too but plan on posting some good stuff later.
Good to hear you got back safely! Looking forward to your photos!

Likes OmCheeto
<h2>1. What is the purpose of the WI Science Festival?</h2><p>The WI Science Festival is an annual event sponsored by PF that aims to promote science education and engagement in the state of Wisconsin. It provides a platform for scientists, researchers, and educators to share their knowledge and discoveries with the public through interactive and educational activities.</p><h2>2. When and where is the 2014 WI Science Festival taking place?</h2><p>The 2014 WI Science Festival will be held from October 16th to October 19th at various locations throughout Wisconsin, including Madison, Milwaukee, and Green Bay. Check the festival's official website for specific event locations and times.</p><h2>3. Who can attend the WI Science Festival?</h2><p>The WI Science Festival is open to all ages and is designed to be a family-friendly event. There will be activities and events suitable for children, adults, and everyone in between. We welcome anyone with an interest in science and learning to attend and participate.</p><h2>4. How can I get involved with the WI Science Festival?</h2><p>There are several ways to get involved with the WI Science Festival. You can attend the events and activities as a participant, volunteer your time and skills to help with organizing and running the festival, or even become a sponsor like PF. Check the festival's website for more information on how to get involved.</p><h2>5. What can I expect to see at the WI Science Festival?</h2><p>The WI Science Festival offers a wide range of events and activities, including hands-on workshops, interactive demonstrations, science talks and discussions, and more. There will also be opportunities to meet and interact with scientists, researchers, and educators from various fields. The festival aims to make science accessible and engaging for all attendees, so expect to have a fun and educational experience!</p>

1. What is the purpose of the WI Science Festival?

The WI Science Festival is an annual event sponsored by PF that aims to promote science education and engagement in the state of Wisconsin. It provides a platform for scientists, researchers, and educators to share their knowledge and discoveries with the public through interactive and educational activities.

2. When and where is the 2014 WI Science Festival taking place?

The 2014 WI Science Festival will be held from October 16th to October 19th at various locations throughout Wisconsin, including Madison, Milwaukee, and Green Bay. Check the festival's official website for specific event locations and times.

3. Who can attend the WI Science Festival?

The WI Science Festival is open to all ages and is designed to be a family-friendly event. There will be activities and events suitable for children, adults, and everyone in between. We welcome anyone with an interest in science and learning to attend and participate.

4. How can I get involved with the WI Science Festival?

There are several ways to get involved with the WI Science Festival. You can attend the events and activities as a participant, volunteer your time and skills to help with organizing and running the festival, or even become a sponsor like PF. Check the festival's website for more information on how to get involved.

5. What can I expect to see at the WI Science Festival?

The WI Science Festival offers a wide range of events and activities, including hands-on workshops, interactive demonstrations, science talks and discussions, and more. There will also be opportunities to meet and interact with scientists, researchers, and educators from various fields. The festival aims to make science accessible and engaging for all attendees, so expect to have a fun and educational experience!

Back