Undetermined Coefficients / Variation of Parameters

Instead, the variation of parameters method can be used to solve this ODE. This involves finding a particular solution by substituting a set of functions into the non-homogeneous equation. These functions are determined by solving a system of equations. Reduction of order method is not applicable either, as it leads to a non-integrable function.
amcavoy
I know how to solve the following ODE with variation of parameters:

[tex]y''+4y=4\sec{\left(2t\right)}.[/tex]

Is there any way to solve this with undetermined coefficients? So far I have tried Yp=Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t), but that didn't work.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now that I try different methods, it seems that reduction of order won't work. At least, I come up with a function I can't integrate:

Y=vyh

v'=u

[tex]u=\frac{2c_1t-2c_2\ln{\left(\cos{2t}\right)}}{c_1\cos{2t}+c_2\sin{2t}}[/tex]

apmcavoy said:
I know how to solve the following ODE with variation of parameters:
[tex]y''+4y=4\sec{\left(2t\right)}.[/tex]
Is there any way to solve this with undetermined coefficients? So far I have tried Yp=Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t), but that didn't work.
Thanks for the help.

The method of undetermined coefficients is applicable only if the RHS of the non-homogeneous equation is itself a particular solution of some homogeneous linear differential equation with constant coefficients. Since Sec(2t) is not such a solution, this method is not applicable.

1. What is the difference between undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters?

Undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters are two methods used to find particular solutions to non-homogeneous linear differential equations. The main difference between the two methods lies in the types of equations they can be applied to. Undetermined coefficients can only be used for equations with constant coefficients, while variation of parameters can be used for both constant and non-constant coefficients.

2. How do undetermined coefficients work?

The undetermined coefficients method involves finding a particular solution by assuming it has the same form as the non-homogeneous term in the equation. The coefficients of this assumed solution are then determined by plugging it into the original equation and solving for the unknown coefficients. This method is most effective when the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

3. What is the process for solving a differential equation using variation of parameters?

The variation of parameters method involves finding a particular solution by assuming it has the same form as the solution to the homogeneous equation, but with unknown coefficients. These coefficients are then determined by using the method of undetermined coefficients on a modified version of the original equation. The final particular solution is then found by combining the solutions from the homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations.

4. When should I use undetermined coefficients versus variation of parameters?

As mentioned earlier, undetermined coefficients should be used when the equation has constant coefficients and the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function. Variation of parameters should be used in all other cases, including equations with non-constant coefficients or non-algebraic non-homogeneous terms.

5. Can I use undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters together?

Yes, it is possible to use both methods together when solving a differential equation. This is most commonly done when the non-homogeneous term is a product of multiple functions, each of which can be solved using a different method. The final particular solution is then found by adding together the solutions found using each method.