Space flight sim with realistic physics

In summary, Orbiter is a free spaceflight simulator that allows users to fly different types of spacecraft around the solar system. It has a steep learning curve due to its realistic physics engine, which requires players to properly aim and accelerate in order to reach destinations. The game has been praised for its realism and has been updated with new features, including the ability to save progress and display orbital eccentricities greater than 1. Some users have experienced conflicts with their systems, but the latest version seems to have resolved these issues.
Cecil
It's called Orbiter, and you can get a free copy here:

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

Fly several different spacecraft (both VTOL and HTOL) around the solar system. The learning curve is very steep due to the physics engine; you can't get to the moon just by aiming and accelerating. :D

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Oh damn you for posting that link when final projects are due...

damn damn damn

Welcome to the forums, BTW!

This looks amazing. I wish someone had the foresight to make a "game" like this for PlayStation. Jesus, you know it'd sell.

- Warren

I've played around with an eariler version. Docked with the ISS. made it to the moon (but without enough fuel to make it home:frown: ) That version had a few shortcomings: you couldn't save your progress, so every flight had to be done in one session. (made it hard to make interplanetary trips) It wouldn't display orbital eccentricities greater than 1. and a couple of other things.

I downloaded an upgraded version a while back, but it seemed to have conlict problems with my system.

I've just downloaded the newest upgrade, and so far it doesn't seem to suffer from the same conflicts. I look forward to playing around with this newest version.

1. What is a space flight simulator with realistic physics?

A space flight simulator with realistic physics is a computer program or video game that allows individuals to simulate flying a spacecraft in a realistic and accurate manner. This includes factors such as gravity, orbital mechanics, and atmospheric conditions.

2. Why is it important to have realistic physics in a space flight simulator?

Having realistic physics in a space flight simulator is important because it allows individuals to experience what it would actually be like to fly a spacecraft in outer space. It also helps to educate individuals about the challenges and complexities of space flight.

3. What are some examples of realistic physics in a space flight simulator?

Examples of realistic physics in a space flight simulator may include accurate representations of gravitational forces, the effects of thrust and inertia, and the ability to simulate orbits and planetary movements.

4. Is it difficult to develop a space flight simulator with realistic physics?

Developing a space flight simulator with realistic physics can be challenging and requires a deep understanding of physics and mathematics. It also requires extensive testing and fine-tuning to ensure accuracy and realism.

5. Can a space flight simulator with realistic physics be used for educational purposes?

Yes, a space flight simulator with realistic physics can be a valuable educational tool. It can help individuals learn about the principles of space flight and can also be used in schools and universities to teach concepts in physics and aerospace engineering.