How can induction be used to prove that a function is a numerical polynomial?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of numerical polynomials and the use of induction to prove that a specific function is a numerical polynomial. The individual is unsure about the interpretation of the function and seeks clarification. The discussion also covers the steps required for an induction proof.
Zero266
Def: A polynomial f(x) with coefficients in Q (the rationals) is called a "numerical polynomial" if for all integers n, f(n) is an integer also.

I have to use induction to prove that for k > 0

that the function f(x) := (1/k!)*x*(x-1)...(x-k+1) is a numerical polynomial

I checked that this is true for k=1, but to be honest I'm not even sure what the dot dot dot means. If k=5 for say, I interpreted the dot dot dot as (1/5!)*x*(x-1)*(x-2)*(x-3)*(x-4). Is this the correct interpretation? If so it is indeed true for k=1, but nonetheless I don't know how to show that it is true for k+1.

Thanks so much.

P.S My professor sucks and it is really discouraging as a recently declared math major. So I will be on here often! Loves.

Physics news on Phys.org
... is an ellipsis, and means continuing in the same pattern. Your interpretation above is correct.

For an induction proof, you need to show that the statement is true for some base case (n = 1 will do), assume that the statement is true for n = k, and then use that statement to show that the statement is true for n = k + 1. (You'll notice that I changed your k to n.)

The induction hypothesis is that f(x) = 1/k!*x*(x -1)*(x - 2)* ... *(x - k + 1) is a numerical polynomial.

What can you say about 1/(k + 1)!*x*(x -1)*(x - 2)* ... *(x - k)?

1. What is the difference between analysis and abstract algebra?

Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous and differentiable functions, while abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields.

2. What are some real-world applications of analysis and abstract algebra?

Analysis has many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and economics, as it provides tools for solving problems involving continuous quantities. Abstract algebra has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science, as it provides tools for efficient data encoding and decoding.

3. What are some key concepts in analysis and abstract algebra?

Some key concepts in analysis include limits, derivatives, and integrals, while key concepts in abstract algebra include groups, rings, and fields, as well as concepts such as homomorphisms, subgroups, and ideals.

4. How are analysis and abstract algebra related?

Analysis and abstract algebra are closely related as they both deal with the study of mathematical structures and provide tools for solving problems in different areas of mathematics and other fields.

5. What are some resources for learning analysis and abstract algebra?

There are many resources available for learning analysis and abstract algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes. Some popular textbooks for analysis include "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. For abstract algebra, "Abstract Algebra" by David Dummit and Richard Foote and "Algebra" by Michael Artin are commonly used. Online resources such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer courses and materials on analysis and abstract algebra.