Elastic Potential Energy and Energy Exchange

In summary, The problem involves a 3 kg ball being dropped from a height of 0.8 m above a vertical coiled spring with a spring constant of 1200 N/m. The maximum compression of the spring can be determined using the equations for spring potential energy, gravitational potential energy, and the sum of energy. The final height of the ball is determined by subtracting the maximum compression of the spring from the initial height.
Vegeance

Homework Statement

A 3 kg ball is dropped from a height of 0.8 m above the top of the spring onto a vertical coiled spring sitting on the floor. The spring constant of the spring is 1200 N/m. Determine the maximum compression of the spring as the ball comes momentarily to rest before rising again. (0.22 m)

Homework Equations

1/2kx^2 (Spring Potential Energy as the area of kx graph)
Epg=mgh (Gravitational Potential Energy)
1/2mv^2 (Sum of energy -> Average kinetic energy of all particles -> velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

physics.png

I am not sure where I went wrong.
I meant b=-29.43.
x = 0.04905m

Physics news on Phys.org
Decide from where do you count the height of the ball. If it is the upper end of the spring in equilibrium, then the final height is h2=x2 (a negative quantity).

ehild

Nevermind, I figured it out. It makes more sense for the gravitational energy h2 to be down upwards to the ball.

The first statement I made was false.

physics-1.png

What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed elastic material, such as a spring or rubber band. It is a form of potential energy because it has the potential to do work when released.

How is elastic potential energy calculated?

Elastic potential energy is calculated using the equation E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the material from its equilibrium position.

What is energy exchange?

Energy exchange is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the case of elastic potential energy, it is the exchange of energy from potential to kinetic energy as the elastic material returns to its equilibrium state.

What are some examples of elastic potential energy?

Some examples of elastic potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a bow and arrow, and a trampoline. Any object or material that can be stretched or compressed has the potential for elastic potential energy.

How is elastic potential energy used in real life?

Elastic potential energy is used in many real-life applications, such as in bungee jumping, where the energy stored in the stretched bungee cord is released to propel the person back up after reaching the lowest point of the jump. It is also used in various mechanical devices, such as door stoppers and shock absorbers, to absorb and release energy to prevent damage or injury.