Good introductory engineering books

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for well-known and comprehensive introductory textbooks in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering at the undergraduate level. Some recommendations include "Structures: Or why things don't fall over" by J.e. Gordon and Dover books. However, more specific information is needed in order to provide a meaningful answer. The conversation also mentions the lack of a reading list for students applying for Engineering Science at Oxford University, but encourages reading of any relevant materials. The speaker also mentions being a freshman in the fall.
accioquote
I'd like to find out the names of well known and comprehensive introductory texts(at the undergraduate level) in electrical engineering, mechanical (and) aerospace engineering.
I'm looking at the something like what University Physics(Sears and Zemansky), Resnick and Halliday are in physics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would strongly recommend "Structures: Or why things don't fall over" by J.e. Gordon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0306812835/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

Though it doesn't entirely fit your areas (perhaps more civil or material) I loved how Gordon explained a concept then gave several real-world examples where that effect is displayed (e.g. why sausages expand around their circumference, not along their length).

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to be more specific. There are hundreds if not thousands of separate subjects that comprise the broad class of courses of study that qualify as engineering. Each has it's own set of introductory textbooks. You need to at least give us a particular flavor of engineering or else no one will be able to give you a meaningful answer.

What level are you looking for? If you're still doing A-Levels (as am I) then I wouldn't worry too much about the content, just so long as it's a book that stretches your engineering mind.

Engineering Science, Oxford University "At present we do not produce a reading list for students applying for Engineering Science but we encourage you to read any relevant materials which you find interesting. "

Buy Dover books.
Cheap, rigorous, old fashioned.

Unfortunately I don't seem to know enough to be specific! I was asking for a commonly used undergrad text in these areas...I'd just like to look at the course material beforehand. I'm going to be a freshman this fall, for reference..

1. What are some good introductory engineering books for beginners?

Some good introductory engineering books for beginners include "Introduction to Engineering", "Engineering Fundamentals: An Introduction to Engineering", and "An Introduction to Mechanical Engineering". These books cover a wide range of engineering topics and provide a solid foundation for further learning.

2. Are there any specific engineering books for certain fields, such as electrical engineering or civil engineering?

Yes, there are many introductory engineering books that focus on specific fields such as electrical engineering, civil engineering, or mechanical engineering. Some examples include "Electric Circuits and Signals" for electrical engineering and "Introduction to Civil Engineering" for civil engineering.

3. What are the key features to look for in a good introductory engineering book?

A good introductory engineering book should have clear and concise explanations, visual aids such as diagrams and illustrations, practice problems with solutions, and real-world examples. It should also cover a wide range of topics and provide a solid foundation for further learning.

4. Are there any online resources for introductory engineering books?

Yes, there are many online resources for introductory engineering books, such as e-books, online courses, and video lectures. Some reputable sources include Coursera, edX, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. Can introductory engineering books be helpful for non-engineering majors?

Yes, introductory engineering books can be helpful for non-engineering majors who are interested in learning about engineering concepts and principles. They can provide a basic understanding of engineering and its applications, which can be useful in various fields such as business, finance, and technology.