What is the RPM of an erector set motor with 4 AA batteries?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the RPM of a 3-6 volt motor with 4 AA batteries for a hobby project. The person is looking for an educated guess or method to find the RPM, but has had no luck through Google searches. Suggestions are given for measuring the RPM using a strobe light or professional instruments, and it is mentioned that the motor's RPM can vary based on the voltage and load. A link is also shared for a professional LED stroboscope that can measure up to 150,000 RPM.
texasman1979
This is a really dumb question that I have not found an answer for.

I recently bought an erector set with a 3-6 volt motor. It has the option of 2 or 4 AA batteries.

I am trying to figure out what the RPM's are with 4 AA batteries for a small hobby project of mine.

I know this is simple stupid for some, but can someone give me an educated guess as to what the RPM's most likely are?

Thanks very much. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does anyone have an educated guess or a method for me to figure this?

I have googled the crap out of this and am having 0 luck. I just need a decent guestamate. The exact number isn't important at this time. I'm building a little project and want to limit the final RPM to around 12000.

I can't for the life of me figure out a method to gathering this info. Please help. lol

You may measure the "no load" rpm of the motor with various voltages applied.
The motor rpm will depend on two variables: the applied voltage, as you know, and
the load the motor is driving. A "heavy" load will slow your motor greatly; too large a load would cause it to stall.

1. What is the maximum RPM of an erector set motor?

The maximum RPM of an erector set motor can vary depending on the specific model and type of motor. However, most erector set motors have a maximum RPM of around 5,000 to 6,000.

2. Can the RPM of an erector set motor be adjusted?

Yes, the RPM of an erector set motor can be adjusted by changing the voltage or using gears to control the speed. Some erector set motors also come with built-in speed control options.

3. What is the difference between RPM and torque in an erector set motor?

RPM (revolutions per minute) refers to the speed at which the motor rotates, while torque refers to the rotational force or power of the motor. A motor with a higher RPM will rotate faster, while a motor with higher torque will have more power to move heavier objects.

4. How do I calculate the RPM of an erector set motor?

To calculate the RPM of an erector set motor, you will need to know the motor's voltage and the gear ratio. You can then use the formula RPM = (Voltage x Gear Ratio) / 3.14 to calculate the motor's RPM.

5. Is it safe to run an erector set motor at maximum RPM for extended periods of time?

No, it is not recommended to run an erector set motor at maximum RPM for extended periods of time as it can overheat and potentially cause damage to the motor. It is important to follow the recommended usage guidelines for the specific motor to ensure its longevity.