What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
Astronuc said:
I initially had the same thought, but then I thought - what the heck. So I tried it, and it was quite good. :approve:
Does it taste more like beer or ice cream?

Physics news on Phys.org
It had the texture of ice cream, but the taste of Guinness Stout. It was Stout tasting ice cream.

I've had Guinness Stout with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. :biggrin: It's something like a root beer float, but with the taste of Guinness Stout.

It's time for apples and I'm enjoying my favorite eating-variety right now - the name is Gala. I found out about this variety years ago when I was traveling a lot. I was headed for Ticonderoga to do some tech service work on the paper machines and saw an orchard, so I swung in and asked the lady at the stand what she thought was their best eating apple. She handed me a Gala and I took one bite and grabbed a peck of them. Luckily, a local orchard grows them too. These aren't the best apples for winter storage, cooking, etc, but for eating, they are the tops! If you can buy them at an orchard instead of in a food store, you will be happier - these don't seem real tolerant of room-temperature storage

I'm going to buy a Black Oxford tree at the organic tree sale in the spring - those are the best apples I've found for keeping all winter. It's an old variety that was first identified in Paris, ME (Oxford County). If anyone here wants organic seeds, plants, trees, etc that are very resistant to cold, these people specialize in just that.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

Last edited:
We just had the best light supper that we have had for a long time. We started out with some flat crispy corn tortillas, smeared refried beans over them, topped them with Monterey Jack and nuked 'em in the microwave. When they came out, we topped them with sauted hamburg, mushroom, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos and onions (with seasonings) then added hot jalapeno/tomato salsa, lettuce, raw onions, and shredded carrots. Then it was all topped off with bread-and-butter pickles. I ate until I was fit to bust. I am not a really big guy, and I can't eat like I did when I was a kid (running 5-10 miles per day training for cross-country) but this is stuff that will make you chow down like there will be no food tomorrow.

If you only had some Guinness ice cream to top it off!:biggrin:

larkspur said:
If you only had some Guinness ice cream to top it off!:biggrin:
You are silly! We could have had Guiness ice cream after, but we would have to have room to fit it in. Once you have a "light" dinner that turns into something like this it is tough to add to it. A few minutes ago, though, I did have a few spoonfuls of the baked filling from a pumpkin pie that my wife made for my sister's BF. Killer.

turbo-1 said:
You are silly! We could have had Guiness ice cream after, but we would have to have room to fit it in. Once you have a "light" dinner that turns into something like this it is tough to add to it. A few minutes ago, though, I did have a few spoonfuls of the baked filling from a pumpkin pie that my wife made for my sister's BF. Killer.
You are right...Guinness Ice Cream would go better with pizza wouldn't it? :wink:

Have you ever had pumpkin cheese cake? Mmmmmm!

We had a "repeat" of the "light supper" tonight, and I used extra salsa and extra pickles this time around. What a supper!

And yes, I have had pumpkin cheesecake. Almost as important as what kind of cheesecake is what kind of fruit sauce to drizzle over it! Hmmm, blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, pineapple, cherry...

Confirmation that my habaneros are really hot.

We made soup tonight - beef with vegetables and seasonings.

I broke open one of my small habaneros and put it in my bowl then spooned the soup into the bowl.

A while later my wife asked if I had put some hot sauce or hot peppers in the soup pot, but I hadn't. I mentioned that I had put one pepper in my bowl. Then I realized that I had handled the ladle after I had opened the habanero pepper. Despite my having washed my hands, there was sufficient oil from the pepper on the spoon that my wife got some on her finger, which she subsequently touched to her mouth/lips. She immediately got a severe burning sensation on her lips, then tongue and apparently throat. :uhh: Ooooops!

As for me, I hardly noticed it. :biggrin: The habaneros are great! :tongue2:

My muse at work brought in home made chili today. It has habeneros in it. PERFECT. I've talked him into making his world famous shrimp gumbo next.

Guess what I had for supper last night? That vermin of vegetables, the eggplant! Like I said in another thread, it happens to be only a passive placeholder in the recipe of eggplant parmesan. Since it breaded and fried, then layered in spicy sauce with tomato, onion, mushroom, garlic, etc, then topped with parmesan cheese and baked, you hardly know it's there. Yay! Actually, that might be a good way to get rid of excess zucchini, too. Throw enough spices, sauteed vegetables, and cheese at it, and I can bear to eat it.

Evo said:
My muse at work brought in home made chili today. It has habeneros in it. PERFECT. I've talked him into making his world famous shrimp gumbo next.
How's the chili recipe coming?

Chili with habaneros! :tongue2: Can you send me some? :biggrin:

I have a cold so I need some chicken soup with hot sauce. I use to treat a cold with a 'Death Burger'. :biggrin: It cleared the chest and sinuses.

Astronuc said:
Chili with habaneros! :tongue2: Can you send me some? :biggrin:
Our chili always has habaneros AND jalapenos, as well as chili powder, cayenne, black pepper, etc, and hot Italian sausage. The more types of hot you put in, the more complex the flavor. It's not searing hot (to my mouth, anyway), but it'll make you sweat. The best thing to help break up a cold is a steaming hot bowl of homemade chili.

Got in the hot-food mood today, and am currently simmering down a big batch of pizza sauce. I start with 3 big cans of tomatoes and puree each in a blender with olive oil, oregano, garlic, onion powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne, a bit of honey, and most important a heaping spoonful of homemade habanero sauce. If we invite guests for pizza I'm going to have to make them sign releases - this is about the hottest batch I've ever made. I just had a little on some corn chips - it's got a sneaky burn that kind of creeps up on you.

The guy who runs the local grocery store has been pretty impressed by some of the salsas, pickles, etc that my wife takes to her sister (who works at the store and makes a lot of the prepared foods for the pizza/deli section). Today he sent her home with a jar of his homemade salsa and a jar of his homemade green tomato pickles. We haven't opened the salsa yet (We are working our way through a jar of the best green tomato salsa the world has ever known. We're not giving any of THAT batch away for Christmas!) but we have tried the green tomato pickles and they are very good, with 3 different types of chilies in there for heat. Nice big sour spicy chunks of green tomatoes. I'm certain that my wife can improve on his recipe, but it is certainly a good starting point.

CHEF'S TASTING DINNER MENU
1st Course: Grilled Chicken Skewer, peanut sauce, pickled cucumber garnish

2nd Course: Hearts of Romaine Salad, cucumber, grape tomatoes, crispy shallots, fresh mint, lime vinaigrette

3rd Course: Herb Roasted Half of Baby Hen

4th Course: Grilled Baby Lamb Chop served with crispy fried onions

5th Course: Caramelized Banana Spring Roll with strawberries

6th Course: Snickers In A Cup, brownie, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, peanuts, and whipped cream
:tongue2:
http://www.parkeastgrill.com/TastingMenu.htm

http://www.parkeastgrill.com/menus.htm :tongue2:

http://www.parkeastgrill.com/Scotch.htm

http://www.parkeastgrill.com/privatewine.htm

Evo, it's in New York City! :wink:

MMMM...My Father taught me how to make this Puerto Rican dish called picadillo.(I am part Puerto Rican) It is a mixture of tomatoes,capers,raisins,ground beef,olives, and special spices served over rice. Cook up a batch in the morning and let it simmer all day until dinner=delicious.

matthew baird said:
MMMM...My Father taught me how to make this Puerto Rican dish called picadillo.(I am part Puerto Rican) It is a mixture of tomatoes,capers,raisins,ground beef,olives, and special spices served over rice. Cook up a batch in the morning and let it simmer all day until dinner=delicious.
Nix the raisins and it sounds yummy!

matthew baird said:
One can substitute currants for raisans. I have had similar dishes prepared with lamb instead of beef, and without the capers.

Evo said:
Nix the raisins and it sounds yummy!
OOO trust me the raisins are awesome in it. I know it sounds weird at first, but once your taste it mmmmmm...ooo Astronuc: I never though about a different meat, lamb would be awesome!:biggrin:

matthew baird said:
OOO trust me the raisins are awesome in it. I know it sounds weird at first, but once your taste it mmmmmm...ooo Astronuc: I never though about a different meat, lamb would be awesome!:biggrin:
The picadillo is similar to some Indian dishes my mom cooked. She also did lamb or chicken curries, some of which were similar to picadillo.

Astronuc said:
One can substitute currants for raisans. I have had similar dishes prepared with lamb instead of beef, and without the capers.
I'd probably pass on the capers, but the rest sounds yummy. One of my best friends is Puerto Rican, and I always love the food she makes that's traditional (even better if her mom cooks it for us :approve:). The first time she made a meat dish with olives in it, I was a bit hesitant. I never thought of olives as an ingredient, more of something you serve on a relish tray. But, boy oh boy, was that tasty! Now I add olives to dishes every once in a while, especially pot roast type stuff.

There are random ingredients that sound strange at first, like the olives/raisins/capers, but when you taste all of the flavors mixed together,mmmm. Yea I love the traditional dishes, I just wish I could cook many more so I could make them for chickies. They love it when you cook for em' haha ...that should be added to the "what a girl wants" thread.

Looking into how to make pepperoni sausages when i found this,

http://www.therecipeworks.com/recipe/homemade-pepperoni-sausage/ [Broken]

Now where doe's one buy (liquid smoke) :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
Looking into how to make pepperoni sausages when i found this,

http://www.therecipeworks.com/recipe/homemade-pepperoni-sausage/ [Broken]

Now where doe's one buy (liquid smoke) :rofl:
I have a bottle in my kitchen, I've used liquid smoke for years. Here is the brand I use.

http://colgin.com/public/ [Broken]

matthew baird said:
Yea I love the traditional dishes, I just wish I could cook many more so I could make them for chickies. They love it when you cook for em' haha ...that should be added to the "what a girl wants" thread.
While some are not so fond of being called a "chickie," you could probably make up for that mistake by cooking, yes. I think we have tried telling the guys that before...just the willingness to try cooking, even if you're not good at it, is a good thing. Many of us consider cooking a necessary chore, and a guy who will take his share of the burden doing that is definitely going to score extra points...bonus points if his cooking is good! :approve:

Evo said:
I have a bottle in my kitchen, I've used liquid smoke for years. Here is the brand I use.

http://colgin.com/public/ [Broken]

Ye gads, i thought that was miss print

It's time to start thinking Christmas cookies. I plan to send some out this year. Will Evo be able to stop procrastinating and actually make cookies? Will she manage to package them and ship them? It looks like I'll have 5 days off for Thanksgiving. If I do it all that weekend, I might actually manage.

I think I will stay with the Evo Child that weekend and put her into service. It's about time she learned to cook.

Smoke on a bottle... hmm... lol..
well there's a first time for everything...

ow and i see this interesting show the other day... or... a few minutes of it till it ended..

a Fly egg burger.. instead of meat you use fly eggs to make the beef.. looked good :P
The entire show was about making things from insects.. and they even suggested that everyone should start eating more insects as they're good for us.
the whole market they were shopping at had huge baskets with dried insects.. lol

Anyone up for a insect based christmas dinner ? :rofl:

Speaking of christmas... first snow fell here woo :D

wolram said:
Ye gads, i thought that was miss print
No, some people actually put that stuff on their food. I prefer to use an actual smoker with real charcoal and real hickory chips (or perhaps cherry or alder chips). A 15# turkey will JUST fit in my smoker, and we have that for Thanksgiving every year. Turkey is wonderful when it is slow-roasted in hickory smoke. I did one in my brother-in-law's electrically-heated smoker last year because my smoker's water pan had a hole in it. That was a mistake. I gave him some of the meat and he agreed. He said that he always wondered by his smoked turkeys never tasted as good as mine, and now we're convinced that it's the combination of charcoal/chips combination that produces that great flavor. I've got a replacement water pan now, so I'm ready for T-day.

turbo-1 said:
No, some people actually put that stuff on their food. I prefer to use an actual smoker with real charcoal and real hickory chips (or perhaps cherry or alder chips). A 15# turkey will JUST fit in my smoker, and we have that for Thanksgiving every year. Turkey is wonderful when it is slow-roasted in hickory smoke. I did one in my brother-in-law's electrically-heated smoker last year because my smoker's water pan had a hole in it. That was a mistake. I gave him some of the meat and he agreed. He said that he always wondered by his smoked turkeys never tasted as good as mine, and now we're convinced that it's the combination of charcoal/chips combination that produces that great flavor. I've got a replacement water pan now, so I'm ready for T-day.
Liquid smoke is usually used to flavor things like dips & meatloaf, things that wouldn't normally get any smoky flavor.

Evo said:
Liquid smoke is usually used to flavor things like dips & meatloaf, things that wouldn't normally get any smoky flavor.
I haven't tried smoking meatloaf, but it sounds good, so I might give it a go sometime.

Moonbear said:
While some are not so fond of being called a "chickie," you could probably make up for that mistake by cooking, yes.(snip)
Mistake? Whats wrong with calling you a chickie?

Evo said:
It's time to start thinking Christmas cookies. I plan to send some out this year. Will Evo be able to stop procrastinating and actually make cookies? Will she manage to package them and ship them? It looks like I'll have 5 days off for Thanksgiving. If I do it all that weekend, I might actually manage.
Thinking Christmas already? Well Thanksgiving is just up ahead. The local municipal employees are putting up tree lights already.

Evo, whatever happened with the Chili competition?

<h2>What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?</h2><p>1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.</p><p>2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.</p><p>3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.</p><p>4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?</p><p>No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.</p><p>5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.</p>

What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?

The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.

2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.

3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.

4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?

No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.

5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.