Relationship between light wavelength, intensity and photons energy

In summary, the shorter the wavelength, the higher the photon energy and the higher the intensity of light, the higher the amount of photons exist in the light. However, this does not necessarily mean that higher intensity plus short wavelength light will generate more voltage and current in a photovoltaic cell compared to the same amount of intensity plus high wavelength light. This is because the energy of the photon does not directly correlate to the energy delivered by the electron and solar cells respond differently to different wavelengths of light.
techguy
Hi peeps,

i am having a project and i wish to clear some concept.

1. The shorter the wave length the higher the photon energy? Am i right?

2. The higher the intensity of light, the higher amount of photons exist in the light? Am i right?

3. So higher intensity plus short wave length will give a lot of overall energy in the light? Am i right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
techguy said:
Hi peeps,

i am having a project and i wish to clear some concept.

1. The shorter the wave length the higher the photon energy? Am i right?
Correct
techguy said:
2. The higher the intensity of light, the higher amount of photons exist in the light? Am i right?
Spot on again
techguy said:
3. So higher intensity plus short wave length will give a lot of overall energy in the light? Am i right?
Yup.

Ok thanks! So here goes another question since my basic concept is correct...

so does that means that higher intensity plus short wavelength light, it will generate much more voltage and current as compared to same amount of intensity plus high wavelength light in photovoltaic cell?

No this is not neccessarily true.

This is mostly down to a couple of reasons...

1. The general rule is one photon will be converted to one electron and the energy of this photon is not related to the energy the electron will deliver in terms of current and voltage (the exception to this case being down conversion solar cells where a high energy electron may be converted into two low energy electrons).

2. The solar cell will respond differently to different wavelengths of light. Higher energy photon does not neccessarily mean more likely to be converted into a photon.

Likes Hari ganesha y

Hello there,

I can confirm that your understanding of the relationship between light wavelength, intensity, and photon energy is correct. Let me explain in more detail:

1. The shorter the wavelength of light, the higher the energy of the photons. This is because the wavelength of light is inversely proportional to its frequency, and energy is directly proportional to frequency according to the equation E=hf, where h is Planck's constant. Therefore, shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and thus, higher energy photons.

2. Yes, the higher the intensity of light, the higher the number of photons present in the light. Intensity is a measure of the amount of energy passing through a given area in a given time, so a higher intensity means more photons are present.

3. Correct, combining a short wavelength and high intensity of light will result in a large amount of overall energy in the light. This is why shorter wavelength, high intensity light sources such as X-rays and gamma rays are used in medical imaging and radiation therapy.

I hope this helps clarify your concept and good luck with your project!

1. What is the relationship between light wavelength and energy?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength of light decreases, the energy of the photon increases.

2. How does intensity affect the energy of photons?

The intensity of light refers to the amount of energy per unit area. As the intensity of light increases, the number of photons per unit area also increases, resulting in higher energy levels.

3. Can light with longer wavelengths have more energy than light with shorter wavelengths?

No, the energy of a photon is determined by its frequency, not its wavelength. Even though longer wavelengths have lower frequencies, they have less energy than shorter wavelengths.

4. What is the relationship between light intensity and the number of photons?

The intensity of light is proportional to the number of photons. This means that as the intensity increases, the number of photons also increases, resulting in higher energy levels.

5. How does the energy of photons affect the color of light?

The energy of photons determines the color of light. Higher energy photons have a shorter wavelength and are associated with colors like blue and violet, while lower energy photons have a longer wavelength and are associated with colors like red and orange.