Relativistic Collision of Particles

The final velocity is indeed c/sqrt(3) and the combined rest mass is m*sqrt(6). This means that the two particles completely annihilated each other and formed a single particle with a larger mass. This is due to the fact that their combined energy was larger than their individual rest energies, allowing for the creation of a more massive particle. The initial conditions of the particles being identical and the total energy being twice the rest energy also played a role in this outcome.
Menisto

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m whose total energy is twice its rest energy collides with an identical particle at rest. If they stick together, what is the mass of the resulting composite particle? What is its velocity?

Homework Equations

E = (gamma)mc^2
p = (gamma)mu

The Attempt at a Solution

The total energy of the first particle is twice its rest energy, or

E_{total} = (gamma)mc^2
= 2mc^2

or [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 2.

Using this, I find that the velocity of particle 1 is:
u = (sqrt{3})/{2}

Using this is both momentum and energy conservation equations yields the two comparable equations:

m_{final} = (gamma 1)m{1} / (gamma final)
and
m_{final} = sqrt{3}m{1}c / (gamma final) u{final}

Solving this, I get:

u_{final} = c

and

m_{final} = 0

The two answers in relation to each other seem alright, but what is happening here? Is this saying that the particles completely annihilated each other? What is special about the initial conditions that makes this happen?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just write the conservation equations in this form[tex] E_{tot}_{1}+E_{tot}_{2}=E_{tot}_{\mbox{resulting particle}} [/tex]

[tex] p_{1}+p_{2}=p_{tot}_{\mbox{resulting particle}} [/tex]

Then you can solve them quite easily i guess.

Let v be the velocity of the particle before collision, and v1 be after collision. Similarly, 'm' be the mass before collision, and m1 after collision.

Now, as correctly stated, v = ([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2)*c.
also, [tex]\gamma[/tex](v)=2.
So, from energy conservation, we get:
m1*[tex]\gamma[/tex](v1)=2m.

and, from momentum conservation, we get: v1=v.
this invariably leads to m1=m.

i think that this means: the first particle comes at rest, and the second particle travels with exactly the same velocity.

prasad_ind007 said:
Let v be the velocity of the particle before collision, and v1 be after collision. Similarly, 'm' be the mass before collision, and m1 after collision.

Now, as correctly stated, v = ([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2)*c.
also, [tex]\gamma[/tex](v)=2.
So, from energy conservation, we get:
m1*[tex]\gamma[/tex](v1)=2m.

and, from momentum conservation, we get: v1=v.
this invariably leads to m1=m.

i think that this means: the first particle comes at rest, and the second particle travels with exactly the same velocity.

There are TWO particles before the collision. Energy before the collision is the sum of BOTH their energies. And you don't need to explicitly compute v or gamma, just use conservation and E^2-p^2*c^2=m^2*c^4.

yup, i missed it. i will try it once again now. thank you for pointing out the mistake.

I am getting the final velocity to be [tex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
and combined rest mass as [tex]m\\*\\\sqrt{6}[/tex]

please correct the answer if i have made a mistake once again.
thank you.

Last edited:
prasad_ind007 said:
I am getting the final velocity to be [tex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
and combined rest mass as [tex]m\\*\\\sqrt{6}[/tex]

please correct the answer if i have made a mistake once again.
thank you.

I think you have it right.

1. What is the concept of relativistic collision?

Relativistic collision refers to the interaction between two particles traveling at high speeds, close to the speed of light. In this scenario, the principles of special relativity must be taken into account to accurately describe the outcome of the collision.

2. How is the momentum of particles affected in a relativistic collision?

In a relativistic collision, the momentum of particles is conserved. However, due to the principles of special relativity, the total momentum of the particles may not be equal to the sum of their individual momentums before the collision.

3. Can energy be converted into mass during a relativistic collision?

Yes, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. During a relativistic collision, some of the kinetic energy of the particles may be converted into mass, resulting in the creation of new particles.

4. How does the velocity of particles change after a relativistic collision?

In a relativistic collision, the velocity of particles may change due to the transfer of kinetic energy between them. However, the speed of light is a universal constant and cannot be exceeded, so particles cannot reach speeds higher than the speed of light after a collision.

5. What are the implications of relativistic collisions in particle physics?

Relativistic collisions play a crucial role in particle physics as they allow scientists to study the behavior and properties of subatomic particles. They also help in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions between particles, leading to advancements in our understanding of the universe.