Most sensitive part of the human body

In summary, the conversation starts with a question about the sensitivity of the index finger, which leads to a discussion about the sensitivity of the clitoris and the human eye. It is pointed out that the cornea of the eye does have nerve endings, contrary to earlier beliefs. The group then discusses the definition of sensitivity and how it relates to the number of nerve endings present. It is mentioned that the lips and thumb are the most sensitive parts of the body, possibly due to their role in tasting and touching. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the ego's role in determining sensitivity.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hello,
I've been taught in high school that the most sensitive part of the human body was the index finger. However recently I've read that it is the clitoris...
But I've a doubt if it is true. I'd like to know the sensitivity of the human eye. I don't have any anatomy book nor medical book. Wikipedia doesn't say anything about it...
I'd be glad if you could tell me the eye' sensitivity. (of touch of course).
Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Zero - you don't have any nerves on the bits of your eye you can touch ( cornea )

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer mgb_phys. That really surprises me! I feel that if I put my finger on my eye it will hurts (especially if my finger is dirty). How is that possible if I have no nerve?

Sorry I was wrong, the surface of the front of your eye - the cornea, does have lots of nerve endings.
Oddly it doesn't have any blood vessels - must have been what I was remembering.

mgb_phys said:
Zero - you don't have any nerves on the bits of your eye you can touch ( cornea and sclera)

That's incorrect. Sensory information from the cornea is transmitted to to the brain via the trigeminal nerve.

(Edit: You updated your remark while I was still typing.)

I think when they talk about sensitivity, though, they're talking about the ability to discriminate what part of the organ is being touched, or 2-point perception (i.e., if you move two pins closer and closer together, how far apart are they when you can no longer detect them as two separate points). The fingers are best at that.

I think when they talk about sensitivity, though, they're talking about the ability to discriminate what part of the organ is being touched, or 2-point perception (i.e., if you move two pins closer and closer together, how far apart are they when you can no longer detect them as two separate points).
I mostly agree with that, but I remember I've read the number of ... nerves (I don't remember the name sorry) can be calculated for a given area so it is possible to compare a region of the body with another in term of the number of these cells or whatever they are.
If I've time I'll search for it on the Internet and post it here. The index finger has a lot but not that much as the clitoris does. I was curious about the eye. I feel that my eye feels much more than my index. For example if a fly walk over my index I'd feel it and it would tickle me, while on my eye it would hurt really bad.

fluidistic said:
I feel that my eye feels much more than my index. For example if a fly walk over my index I'd feel it and it would tickle me, while on my eye it would hurt really bad.

That doesn't mean it's more sensitive. It means your finger can discriminate better among different types of sensations. The eye can pretty much only detect pain...light touch, big poke, it's all the same sensation. The finger can discriminate among many different types of sensation...pain, light touch, pressure, temperature.

You're right Moonbear. I guess that's because fingers have a lot of different specified cells that can measure pressure, heat and so on. While the eye has probably one type of them or mostly one type of them.
But still, if I have a dust on my finger I wouldn't know it while on my eye yes. I believe that the eye is more sensitive in this case.

Hi all,

Normally the most sensitive part is lips, followed by thumb.

http://faculty.etsu.edu/currie/images/homunculus1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Somasimple is correct to point out that what we usually think of in common speech as "sensitivity" maps very well onto the size of representation in somatosensory cortex. Thus the lips and thumb are the most sensitive. It is interesting to wonder about why this correspondence exists...

Cincinnatus said:
Thus the lips and thumb are the most sensitive. It is interesting to wonder about why this correspondence exists...
Simple: Taste and Touch => two senses that help while you discover the world around yourself. BTW, they are quite the same as a single cell.

Don't discount your tongue. A stray hair (head or face) can feel like a log on your tongue. I don't know anywhere else on the body that's more sensitive than that.

You're right! Tongue wins.

I think it's the ego.

marcusl said:
I think it's the ego.
:rofl:

1. What is the most sensitive part of the human body?

The most sensitive part of the human body varies from person to person, but generally, the fingertips, lips, and genitals are considered to be the most sensitive.

2. Why are certain body parts more sensitive than others?

Certain body parts have a higher concentration of nerve endings, which makes them more sensitive to touch, temperature, and pressure. These areas also tend to have thinner skin, making them more vulnerable to sensation.

3. Can the sensitivity of body parts change over time?

Yes, the sensitivity of body parts can change over time due to factors such as aging, injury, and nerve damage. For example, as we age, our skin becomes thinner and less sensitive, while an injury to a body part may cause increased sensitivity in that area.

4. How does the brain perceive and process sensory information from sensitive body parts?

The brain receives sensory information from sensitive body parts through the nervous system, which transmits signals from the nerve endings to the brain. The brain then interprets and processes this information, allowing us to feel sensations such as touch, pain, and temperature.

5. Are there any cultural or societal factors that influence the perception of sensitive body parts?

Yes, cultural and societal factors can play a role in how we perceive and treat sensitive body parts. For example, some cultures may view certain body parts as taboo or shameful, leading to different levels of sensitivity and treatment of those body parts. Additionally, societal norms and expectations may also impact how we perceive and treat our own sensitive body parts.