Understanding Centripetal Force in a Pendulum System

In summary, the pendulum bob has a mass of 0.400 kg and a speed of 3.00 m/s as it passes through the lowest part of its path. The tension in the pendulum cable at this point is being counteracted by gravity and centripetal force. The sum of these forces equals the total centripetal force, or the net force acting on the bob. It is important to note that centripetal force is not a separate force, but rather the radial component of the net force.
Fisicks
"A 0.400-kg pendulum bob passes through the lowest part of its path at a speed of 3.00 m/s.
What is the tension in the pendulum cable at this point of the pendulum is .8 meters long?"

I would like to ask for some help on understanding centripetal force in this particular situation. I realize gravity is pulling down on the bob, while tension is counteracting gravity, and centripetal force is also counteracting gravity.

I would like someone to explain to me why the sum of the forces here is the total centripetal force, or Tension minus force of gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fisicks said:
I realize gravity is pulling down on the bob, while tension is counteracting gravity, and centripetal force is also counteracting gravity.
It sounds like you are thinking of centripetal force as if it were a third force on the bob. It's not. The only forces acting on the bob are tension and gravity. "Centripetal force" is just a name for the radial component of the net force.

thank you very much, that's why i was so confused. Centripetal force is just another name for net force, but in angular motion!

Fisicks said:
thank you very much, that's why i was so confused. Centripetal force is just another name for net force, but in angular motion!
For the radial component, yes. You could have a tangential component of force too, but it's not centripetal.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed toward the center of the circle. It keeps the object moving in the circular path instead of moving in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = m(v^2/r), where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include the Earth revolving around the sun, a car turning around a curve, and a washing machine spinning clothes in a circular motion.

4. What happens if there is no centripetal force acting on an object?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object, the object will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, instead of following a circular path.

5. Can centripetal force change the speed of an object?

Yes, centripetal force can change the speed of an object by increasing or decreasing its velocity. This can happen when the radius of the circular path changes or when the mass of the object changes.