Marginal stable airplane

In summary: The Neutral point is the point where the lift of the wings is equal to the weight of the plane. This is typically when the plane is in a stable equilibrium, or when it is at its minimum or maximum speeds.
Imtheking
What is marginal stable airplane?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? This looks like homework, and we do not do your homework for you at this site.

I searched many places but I can't get the meaning of it. Please If you know give me the answer. Please.

A wild guess is that you are facing a poor translation of the German term 'grenzstabil' which means on the border of beeing stable - which is typically when the lift of the wings are only matching the weight of the plane, or it could be the point of minimal speed or maximal upward pointing angle before stalling, etc.

Just a hint on such language problems - try to search the technical term in your local language Wikipedia. If it is what you are looking for you could be lucky and find the article already translated in the English Wiki with the correct technical wording instead of doing strange Google like translations.

But I could be completely wrong also ...

gutemine

Last edited:
Or he could just search for "marginal stability" ...

gutemine said:
A wild guess is that you are facing a poor translation of the German term 'grenzstabil' which means on the border of beeing stable - which is typically when the lift of the wings are only matching the weight of the plane, or it could be the point of minimal speed or maximal upward pointing angle before stalling, etc.

Just a hint on such language problems - try to search the technical term in your local language Wikipedia. If it is what you are looking for you could be lucky and find the article already translated in the English Wiki with the correct technical wording instead of doing strange Google like translations.

But I could be completely wrong also ...

gutemine

Why do you offer an answer if you don't know what you're talking about? Do you think this is helpful to the OP?? :confused:

The only times that I've heard the term were in reference to modern warcraft, whose manoeuvrability is so high that computers must be used to control them. The more stability a plane has, the less agility.

Let's not help too much here. (So far, OK.) This looks very much like a homework problem, so we should not be giving out answers until the OP shows some work.

Sorry, D H. I figured that a basic definition would be okay so long are there were no technical details. (Actually, I'm not even sure that it's a proper one in the context of the question. :redface:)

No problem, Danger. I guess I'm getting a bit jaded by some of the "why should I do any work when I can get the answer for free by hosing the internet with my question" questions. This post, to me, has that look and feel; that a google search yields several hits where someone has asked this very question adds to that feeing.

Quite understandable. I was unaware of that background material.

I hope this might help:
www.aoe.vt.edu/~cdhall/courses/aoe2104/AircraftFlight.pdf[/URL]

But please don't post homework question here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Why do you offer an answer if you don't know what you're talking about? Do you think this is helpful to the OP?? :confused:

Because I looked at the only other post he had so far which was about the shallowest angle of glide in aircraft.

Asuming that both questions could be related and maybe caused by a translation problem ist not such a bad suggestion - as English is not my mother language either I have a little bit experience in this area. But as I already said - I could be totally wrong also.

OPs then can comment and then the answering is getting much easier.

gutemine

gutemine said:
Because I looked at the only other post he had so far which was about the shallowest angle of glide in aircraft.

Asuming that both questions could be related and maybe caused by a translation problem ist not such a bad suggestion - as English is not my mother language either I have a little bit experience in this area. But as I already said - I could be totally wrong also.

OPs then can comment and then the answering is getting much easier.

gutemine

Well, you were wrong. No offense, but I think you should take down your 'answer'.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

— Voltaire

I think he is now already sufficiently warned and when I edit it the quotes would be even more confusing for him.

I found the Stability Margin which is the "Distance between the Center of gravity and the Neutral point of airplae". But don't understand how this helps the stability...

Imtheking said:
I found the Stability Margin which is the "Distance between the Center of gravity and the Neutral point of airplae". But don't understand how this helps the stability...

Good. Now find out what the Neutral point means, and it will make sense.

gutemine said:

— Voltaire

I like this quote, I'm going to make it a point to use it in conversation to sound smart tomorrow, lol.

Cyrus said:
I'm going to make it a point to use it in conversation to sound smart tomorrow, lol.

Every time I try to do this, I forget within about 30 minutes.

boneh3ad said:
Every time I try to do this, I forget within about 30 minutes.

— Voltaire

Cyrus said:

— Voltaire

Nice try, but it doesn't really apply here, chief. :wink:

Maybe I'm missing something here because I didn't start flying until 1975, but I have never heard of a "neutral point" in relation to an aeroplane. :confused:

edit: Alright, I have heard of it, but it was in relation to the mile-high club, so I doubt that it is relevant to this thread.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Maybe I'm missing something here because I didn't start flying until 1975, but I have never heard of a "neutral point" in relation to an aeroplane. :confused:

Of course you have! :smile: You just didn't know it. I'm sure you were taught about CG movement for an airplane and the need to be sure how far aft the CG may move- for instance as you add passengers and bags for a GA airplane.

CG moving aft of the neutral point means bad juju!

dtango said:
Of course you have! :smile: You just didn't know it. I'm sure you were taught about CG movement for an airplane and the need to be sure how far aft the CG may move- for instance as you add passengers and bags for a GA airplane.

CG moving aft of the neutral point means bad juju!

Okay, yeah... I've never heard it called that, though.

Danger said:
Okay, yeah... I've never heard it called that, though.

It's not. They're confusing it with the center of pressure. The neutral point and the center of pressure are very closely related, but they're not synonomous.

mugaliens said:
It's not. They're confusing it with the center of pressure. The neutral point and the center of pressure are very closely related, but they're not synonomous.

No one's said anything about center of pressure here. I'm a bit confused about this post.

Cyrus said:
No one's said anything about center of pressure here. I'm a bit confused about this post.

When the CG is located at the neutral point, the aircraft is on the line between dynamic stability and instability. The neutral point is fixed. The center of pressure, however, changes with flight control manipulation. It's close to the neutral point, but not precisely so.

For dynamic stability the CG is located forward of both.

1. What is a marginal stable airplane?

A marginal stable airplane is an aircraft that is designed to have a slight tendency to return to its original position after being disturbed, but is not completely stable on its own. This means that it requires constant input from the pilot to maintain its position and prevent it from deviating from its intended flight path.

2. How is the stability of an airplane measured?

The stability of an airplane is typically measured using the static margin, which is the distance between the center of gravity and the neutral point of the aircraft. A higher static margin indicates a more stable airplane, while a low or negative static margin indicates a less stable or even unstable aircraft.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a marginal stable airplane?

The advantages of a marginal stable airplane include maneuverability and responsiveness to pilot input, making it suitable for aerobatic and military applications. However, the disadvantage is that it requires constant pilot attention and can be difficult to control in certain situations, such as during turbulence or when carrying heavy loads.

4. How is the stability of an airplane improved?

The stability of an airplane can be improved by adjusting the location of the center of gravity, adding stabilizing surfaces such as a vertical stabilizer or horizontal stabilizer, and using control surfaces such as ailerons, elevators, and rudder to maintain stability and control in flight.

5. What types of airplanes are typically designed to be marginal stable?

Marginal stable airplanes are commonly used in aerobatic and military aircraft, as well as some types of gliders and experimental aircraft. They are also used in some commercial aircraft, particularly those designed for short takeoff and landing (STOL) operations. However, most modern commercial airliners are designed to be fully stable for the safety and comfort of passengers.