8-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit Processors?

• Thread starter physics kiddy
  • Start date
In summary, a 32 bit processor can use up to 4GB of RAM, while a 64 bit processor can use up to 18GB of RAM.
physics kiddy
Hello everybody,

I want to ask what do 8-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit mean when it comes to processors.

Computer science news on Phys.org

without getting too technical, it relates to the largest value a computer can store in one block of memory. bits refer to the number of digits in a binary number. Its also the way a computer counts and performs calculations

the main thing you will see with the processor is the amount of RAM they can use.
a 32 bit computer can count sequentially from 0 to 4294967295 (2^32-1) that's where the 32 bit comes from. this means it can deal with about 4GB of ram MAX

a 64 bit computer can do 0 to 18446744073709551615 (2^64-1) it can use a LOT more ram.

Maybe give this a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

The normal usage for 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit terminology for cpu's is a reference to the size of the primary registers in a cpu. One exception is the Motorola 68000, called a 16/32 bit cpu because it's registers are 32 bits wide, but it reads and writes memory 16 bits at a time. Intel cpu's didn't use this convention and the number of bits just referred to the primary registers.

The Intel 8080, 8085, and Zilog Z80 are considered 8 bit cpus, because that was the size of their accumulators and most of their registers, although it's program counter was 16 bits, and specific pairs of registers could be combined to form 16 bit values or addresses.

The Intel 8086 and 8088 are considered a 16 bit cpus, but the 8086 accesses memory 16 bits at a time, while the otherwise identical 8088 accesses memory 8 bits at a time. It had 20 bits for addressing memory (so it could support up to 1 MB). The main registers are 16 bits wide, but some of them can be accessed 8 bits at at time (AX can be accessed as AH (high order part) or AL (low order part)).

The Intel 80386 is a 32 bit cpu. The 80386 normally accesses memory 32 bits at a time with a 32 bit addresses. Motorola 68000 16/32 bit processor has 32 bit regisers, but accesses memory 16 bits at a time with a 24 bit address. The Motorola 68020 accessed memory 32 bits at a time. The Intel Pentium Pro is also a 32 bit cpu, but some versions had 36 bits of addressing, that required using address translation schemes.

For a typical PC, the amount of memory that can be read at one time varies with the motherboard and cpu, normally it's 64 bits (called double channel) or 96 bits (called triple channel).

The previous post already posted a link to 64 bit cpus, links to the others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16-bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit

To simplify things even further, it generally refers to the maximum size (number of bits) that can be transferred at a time (from register to register).

Think of a highway: a single-lane highway can transfer 1 car at a time (but several in line, or serially), whereas a four-lane highway can transfer 4 cars at a time. So the highway is analogous to a data bus and the cars are bits. The wider the bus (highway), the more bits (cars) that can be transferred at a time.

Routaran said:
the main thing you will see with the processor is the amount of RAM they can use.
a 32 bit computer can count sequentially from 0 to 4294967295 (2^32-1) that's where the 32 bit comes from. this means it can deal with about 4GB of ram MAX

a 64 bit computer can do 0 to 18446744073709551615 (2^64-1) it can use a LOT more ram.

Two years ago I bought a copy of Vista Ultimate that included both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. At the time, it had 2 GB RAM, I thought that was sufficient, and I'd heard about problems with support for 64-bit drivers, so I loaded the 32-bit version.

Things worked as advertised.

This summer, I upgraded my hard drive and RAM, and reloaded the 32-bit version. It could only see 3 GB RAM. I remember hearing that the 64-bit version could support gobs of RAM, so I thought, "Why not give it a try?" and loaded the 64-bit version. It was a snap, I didn't have any problem whatsoever with any drivers, and it sees the full 4GB of RAM.

Question 1: What is the difference between 8-bit, 32-bit, and 64-bit processors?

In simple terms, the number of bits in a processor refers to its data processing capability. An 8-bit processor can process 8 bits of data at a time, a 32-bit processor can process 32 bits, and a 64-bit processor can process 64 bits. This means that a 64-bit processor can handle larger amounts of data and perform more complex calculations than an 8-bit or 32-bit processor.

Question 2: What are the advantages of using a 64-bit processor over a 32-bit processor?

One of the main advantages of a 64-bit processor is its ability to access and use more memory. 32-bit processors are limited to a maximum of 4GB of RAM, while 64-bit processors can access much larger amounts of memory. This allows for faster data processing and better performance for tasks that require a lot of memory, such as gaming or video editing.

Question 3: Can 32-bit software run on a 64-bit processor?

Yes, most 64-bit processors are designed to be backwards compatible with 32-bit software. This means that you can run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit processor, but not the other way around. However, it is important to note that 32-bit software may not run as efficiently on a 64-bit processor, as it is not fully utilizing the processor's capabilities.

Question 4: How do I know if my computer has an 8-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit processor?

You can check your computer's processor type by going to your computer's system settings. On a Windows computer, go to "System" and look for the "System type" section. On a Mac, go to "About This Mac" and click on "System Report." Under "Hardware" you will see the processor type, which will indicate if it is 8-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit.

Question 5: Are 64-bit processors always better than 32-bit processors?

It depends on the task at hand. For tasks that require a lot of memory and complex calculations, a 64-bit processor will generally perform better. However, for simple tasks like web browsing or word processing, the difference may not be noticeable. Additionally, some older software may not be compatible with 64-bit processors, so a 32-bit processor may be a better choice in those cases.