Exploring Time Dilation and the Big Bang: A Question of Mass and Relativity

In summary, the time dilation equation for general relativity does not apply to the Big Bang, as it only works in the weak-field limit and during moments of constant gravitational field.
eddybob123
I have been wondering this ever since I was in elementary school and I am hoping for an answer.
The time dilation equation for general relativity is time dilation=e^(gh/(c^2)). This applies to any object that has mass, and I am wondering if it also applies to the Big Bang (which has mass).
I am not looking for the value of time dilation. I am looking for a variable value of h, which is the vertical height from the mass to the object. Obviously, nothing exists out of the Big Bang, but there has to be time dilation. If there is nothing outside the Big Bang, then there cannot be a value of h.

Can someone give me an explanation?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
eddybob123 said:
I have been wondering this ever since I was in elementary school and I am hoping for an answer.
The time dilation equation for general relativity is time dilation=e^(gh/(c^2)). This applies to any object that has mass, and I am wondering if it also applies to the Big Bang (which has mass).
I am not looking for the value of time dilation. I am looking for a variable value of h, which is the vertical height from the mass to the object. Obviously, nothing exists out of the Big Bang, but there has to be time dilation. If there is nothing outside the Big Bang, then there cannot be a value of h.

Can someone give me an explanation?

Thanks in advance

This expression is only valid in the weak-field limit of GR in a constant gravitational field... So it works for something like gravity near the centre of the Earth, but means absolutely nothing in the early moments of the universe.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary object. This is a result of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and time is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does mass affect time dilation?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, mass and energy are equivalent and can cause distortion in the fabric of spacetime. The more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational pull, which can cause time to pass slower for objects near it. This is known as gravitational time dilation.

3. What is the connection between time dilation and the Big Bang?

The theory of the Big Bang suggests that the universe began as a singularity with infinite density and zero volume. As the singularity expanded, it caused spacetime to stretch and dilate, leading to the concept of cosmic time dilation. This means that time appears to pass slower in regions with a higher density of matter.

4. Can time dilation be observed or measured?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured in various experiments. One example is the famous Hafele-Keating experiment, where atomic clocks placed on airplanes traveling east and west showed a difference in time when compared to a stationary clock on Earth. This supports the concept of time dilation due to the Earth's rotation and gravitational pull.

5. Does time dilation have any practical applications?

Yes, time dilation is a crucial factor in GPS technology. The satellites in the GPS system are constantly moving at high speeds and experience time dilation, which can cause discrepancies in the time measurements. To account for this, the clocks on GPS satellites are adjusted to match the Earth's time frame, ensuring accurate location tracking.