Finding Apogee and Perigee of Moon's Elliptical Orbit

• Thread starter darshanpatel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ellipses
In summary: I think.In summary, the apogee and perigee are at the vertices of an ellipse, and the distance from the focus to the apogee and perigee can be found using the equation of the ellipse. The apogee and perigee are the two foci points, and the distance between the apogee and perigee can be found using the distance formula.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

The Moon orbits the Earth in an elliptical path with the center of Earth at one focus. The major and minor axes of the orbit have lengths of 768,800 kilometers and 767,640 kilometers, respectively.

a) Find the greatest distance, called the apogee, and the lest distance, called the perigee, from Earth's center to the moon's center.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried sketching it out on a graph but I could get that far. I know for the least distance and greatest distance from the focus, it has to be right in front of the focus and behind it. Like you could connect them with a straight line on the ellipse. I think you need to use triangles, but not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
darshanpatel said:

Homework Statement

The Moon orbits the Earth in an elliptical path with the center of Earth at one focus. The major and minor axes of the orbit have lengths of 768,800 kilometers and 767,640 kilometers, respectively.

a) Find the greatest distance, called the apogee, and the lest distance, called the perigee, from Earth's center to the moon's center.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried sketching it out on a graph but I could get that far.
You could or could not get that far? If you couldn't get that far, why not? A sketch of the ellipse should give you some insight into answering the questions here.
darshanpatel said:
I know for the least distance and greatest distance from the focus, it has to be right in front of the focus and behind it. Like you could connect them with a straight line on the ellipse. I think you need to use triangles, but not sure.

The apogee and perigee will be at the two vertices of the ellipse.

Yeah I sketched it out but how would you get the distance from the focus to the vertex its closest too? It doesn't give a point to where Earth is...

You're given the major and minor axes, from which you can get the major and minor semiaxes. How do these values relate to the parameters a and b in the equation of the ellipse? How do a and b relate to the number c, which represents the distance from the center to either focus?

Your textbook should have this information.

I used c^2=a^2-b^2 to find the foci points, then used distance formula to find the shortest distance to the edge of the ellipse and subtracted that from the length of the major axis to find the longest distance...

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of geometric shape that looks like a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane where the sum of the distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is constant.

2. What are some real-world applications of ellipses?

Ellipses have many practical uses in our daily lives. They can be seen in the orbits of planets around the sun, the shape of an egg, and the design of satellite dish antennas. They are also commonly used in architecture, art, and design.

3. How do you solve word problems involving ellipses?

To solve word problems with ellipses, you first need to identify the given information and determine which formula or equations are needed. Then, you can use the properties of ellipses, such as the distance formula and the focus-directrix property, to solve the problem.

4. What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle?

The main difference between an ellipse and a circle is their shape. While a circle has a constant radius and all points are equidistant from the center, an ellipse has two different radii (major and minor) and the distance from the center to any point on the ellipse varies.

5. Are there any special properties of ellipses that can help in problem-solving?

Yes, there are a few special properties of ellipses that can be useful when solving problems. These include the focus-directrix property, the reflective property, and the eccentricity property. These properties can help in finding the foci, vertices, and other important points on an ellipse.