Proving the Delta Function Identity Using the Local Behavior of Functions

In summary, the student is trying to show (6) on the homework page, but is not sure how to use (5). They are having trouble visualizing what the delta function looks like. Near x=a, (x+a) is nearly 2a.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeltaFunction.html

I want to show (6) on that page. I can show it using (7), but we aren't supposed to do that. I already proved (5), and my prof says to use the fact that (5) is true to get the answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I tried:
δ(x2 - a2) = δ((x-a)(x+a))

I'm not sure how to use (5), because here a is not multiplying x. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine what the delta look like in the neighborhood of a and -a, i.e., when one factor goes to zero, the other factor is pretty much constant over that entire neighborhood.

I don't really know what it looks like. I know that δ(x) is zero everywhere except at x = 0. At x = 0, it's infinity.

I know that δ(x-a) is the same as above except that now it's infinity at x = a.

But I don't know what δ(x2) looks like.

jumbogala said:
I don't really know what it looks like. I know that δ(x) is zero everywhere except at x = 0. At x = 0, it's infinity.

I know that δ(x-a) is the same as above except that now it's infinity at x = a.

But I don't know what δ(x2) looks like.

Near x=a, δ((x-a)(x+a)) pretty much looks like δ((x-a)*2a). That's sunjin09's point.

I don't understand why it looks like that though. I am having problems visualizing it.

I don't get how you know what it looks like unless it's just δ(x) or δ(x-a) by itself.

jumbogala said:
I don't understand why it looks like that though. I am having problems visualizing it.

I don't get how you know what it looks like unless it's just δ(x) or δ(x-a) by itself.

Near x=a, (x+a) is nearly 2a. You can't visualize that?

Ohh okay, I see that near x = a, (x+a) is about 2a. So we're just making an approximation and plugging it into the delta function, is that right?

I wasn't sure what the delta function itself looked like, not what x+a looks like.

jumbogala said:
Ohh okay, I see that near x = a, (x+a) is about 2a. So we're just making an approximation and plugging it into the delta function, is that right?

I wasn't sure what the delta function itself looked like, not what x+a looks like.

Yes, I think you are ok with hand waving through this. Near x=(-a) the value of (x-a) is nearly -2a. So split it into two delta functions at the two values where x^2-a^2 vanishes.

Alright, that makes a lot more sense now. So basically, we're saying:

δ((x-a)(x+a)) = δ((x-a)*2a) + δ((x+a)*(-2a))

Is it okay to do that because it's zero elsewhere (within the delta function)?

jumbogala said:
Alright, that makes a lot more sense now. So basically, we're saying:

δ((x-a)(x+a)) = δ((x-a)*2a) + δ((x+a)*(-2a))

Is it okay to do that because it's zero elsewhere? It seems a little odd to split a multiplication up like that.

Yes, I think it's ok to do that because it's zero elsewhere. It's not a formal proof, but the answer is correct.

The idea is δ(f(x)) is zero except at f(x0)=0, so all that matters is the local behavior of f(x) near x0, so you can approximate f(x) around x0 by f(x)≈f'(x0)(x-x0). Since all the zeros of f(x) must be accounted for, you easily derive the general formula (7) mentioned in your original post. This is certainly not a formal proof, as Dick pointed out, but I think you can have a formal but still not rigorous proof by using a test function, i.e., try evaluate ∫ δ(f(x))*g(x) dx and see what you get.

What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function is a mathematical concept used to represent an impulse or point mass at a specific point. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of systems.

What is the proof of the Dirac Delta Function?

The proof of the Dirac Delta Function involves using the properties of the function to show that it behaves like an impulse function. This includes proving that it is zero everywhere except at a specific point, and that its integral over the entire domain is equal to one.

How is the Dirac Delta Function used in real-world applications?

The Dirac Delta Function is used in many real-world applications, such as signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in modeling systems that involve point masses or impulses, as it allows for a more accurate representation of their behavior.

What are the limitations of the Dirac Delta Function?

One limitation of the Dirac Delta Function is that it is not a true function, as it is not defined at the specific point where it has a non-zero value. This can make it difficult to work with mathematically in some cases. Additionally, its use in some areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, has been debated and may not accurately reflect the underlying physical reality.

Are there any alternative functions that can be used instead of the Dirac Delta Function?

Yes, there are alternative functions that can be used to represent an impulse or point mass, such as the Heaviside step function or the Kronecker delta function. However, the Dirac Delta Function remains a popular choice due to its simplicity and ability to accurately represent certain systems.