Is physics bachelors degree required to carry out masters in quantum physics?

In summary, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in physics without having a bachelor's degree in the field, but it will require significant coursework and may take longer to complete. Many US schools may not consider a bachelor's degree from India equivalent and may require additional coursework before admission. It is important to have a strong background in mathematics and exposure to quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level. Additionally, it is important to note that many US schools do not offer a terminal master's in physics and instead focus on PhD programs. It is recommended to thoroughly research and consult with professors to determine the best path for pursuing a graduate degree in physics.
Vinay Hebbar
Hi I'm currently pursuing electronics and communication degree in India. I'm confused whether to get another bachelors degree in physics or i can directly do my masters. Most of my friends suggested to directly carry masters in any US colleges so that professors would be knowing what i lack and would be of help. Please guide me through this as I'm aspiring to get my masters in quantum physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had significant exposure to quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level? Do you have a strong background in the mathematics necessary to study this subject at a graduate level?

There's no such thing as a masters in quantum physics. It's just a masters in physics, and it requires a bachelors in physics. Many US schools do not consider a bachelors from India equivalent to a bachelors here; some will make you earn a masters in physics in India before applying to their masters programs. Many also don't grant a terminal masters; it's a PhD or nothing.

uby said:
Have you had significant exposure to quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level? Do you have a strong background in the mathematics necessary to study this subject at a graduate level?

As i have encountered, the maths required for quantum physics is nowhere taught in engineering scheme in depth. And all i have in physics is analytical skills in physics and nothing theoretical. I'm strong at computing mathematics but not at analysing. So is it recommended to carry another undergraduation in physics? Or advance undergraduation program provided by colleges helps me carry on my masters? The reason behind my confusion is that i need in-depth understanding of physics and I am more interested in particle physics(theoretical prediction). So now is my move and i have to make it right. So kindly analyse a situation and shower me with best possibility. Thanks

eri said:
There's no such thing as a masters in quantum physics. It's just a masters in physics, and it requires a bachelors in physics. Many US schools do not consider a bachelors from India equivalent to a bachelors here; some will make you earn a masters in physics in India before applying to their masters programs. Many also don't grant a terminal masters; it's a PhD or nothing.

In India pertaining to engineering course, our masters would be completely channelised to the field of interest. So i never knew that it never existed. So suggest me about what its like doing masters there and BS physics.

eri said:
It's just a masters in physics, and it requires a bachelors in physics.

No, that's not true. I'll point to myself as an example: I have an MS in physics, but no BS in physics.

That said, I did end up taking most of the upper division undergraduate physics courses in the course of my studies.

TMFKAN64 said:
No, that's not true. I'll point to myself as an example: I have an MS in physics, but no BS in physics.

That said, I did end up taking most of the upper division undergraduate physics courses in the course of my studies.

So what's your point for me? How does it actually help me with those words?

Last edited:
Yes, you can get into a graduate program in physics without a BS in physics, but not without significant physics coursework. Grad schools don't start over at the beginning - they assume you just spent 4 years studying the subject and pick up from there.

eri said:
Yes, you can get into a graduate program in physics without a BS in physics, but not without significant physics coursework. Grad schools don't start over at the beginning - they assume you just spent 4 years studying the subject and pick up from there.

Exactly. If you really want to, it is possible. However, there are no short cuts... at least none that I know of.

So you guys are implying me to have another BS in physics to support my courses and advanced UG course doesn't support my motto?

Vinay Hebbar said:
So you guys are implying me to have another BS in physics to support my courses and advanced UG course doesn't support my motto?

No, not at all. Using the only example I have at hand, I had to do about a year's worth of remedial undergraduate course work when I got my MS. (I had studied a lot on my own before I started any courses, otherwise it would have been closer to two years.)

If you *only* take the upper division physics courses in a BS program, it takes much less than four years.

I'm actually trying to be encouraging here. You *can* get an advanced degree in physics without having a bachelor's in physics first. However, it will take longer, because you *will* have a lot of ground that you need to make up.

1. What is the difference between a bachelor's degree in physics and a master's degree in quantum physics?

A bachelor's degree in physics provides a broad foundation in physics principles and theories, while a master's degree in quantum physics focuses specifically on the study of quantum mechanics and its applications.

2. Can I pursue a master's degree in quantum physics without a bachelor's degree in physics?

While a bachelor's degree in physics is often a prerequisite for a master's degree in quantum physics, some programs may accept students with a strong background in mathematics or other related sciences.

3. What courses are typically required for a bachelor's degree in physics to prepare for a master's in quantum physics?

Most bachelor's degree programs in physics require courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. These courses provide a strong foundation for further study in quantum physics.

4. Is it possible to switch from a bachelor's degree in a different field to a master's in quantum physics?

It is possible, but it may require taking additional prerequisite courses to build a strong foundation in physics before pursuing a master's degree in quantum physics. Some programs may also offer bridge programs to help students transition from a different field to quantum physics.

5. What career opportunities are available with a master's degree in quantum physics?

A master's degree in quantum physics can lead to careers in research and development in areas such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and advanced materials. It can also open up opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, and telecommunications.