How sensitive are gieger counters?

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, it is not the only way to detect radiation. The EPA guidelines for safe exposure levels are set so that you would have to be exposed for a lifetime before experiencing any negative effects. This means that trace amounts of radiation, even if they are slightly above background levels, are not harmful. In summary, "trace" radiation is a relative term with no formal definition, but it is generally considered to be a negligible amount. Geiger counters are sensitive devices but not the only way to detect radiation.
MathJakob
So obviously you've all watched a movie where some FBI dude shows up with a geiger counter and it's able to detect trace radiation on someone who has simply handled it in a briefcase or something. My question is polonium for example is found in many things including cigarettes so what is classed as a trace amount?

I'm seeing samples being sold with an alpha activity of 0.01uCi whatever that means. Would a Geiger counter be able to pick up such a small amount? Sorry if my question doesn't make sense or is a bit vague I'm just curios as to how true movies are when relating to real scenarios

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Trace" is whatever the TV shows says it is.
There is no formal, scientific, definition. It is a quantity which is "negligible" - so it depends on the context.
It would be reasonable for "trace radiation" to be 1/10 of the EPA safe guidelines... well below background.

Geiger counters are as sensitive as the manufacturer says it is.
They are not the only way to detect radiation.
uCi is "microCurie" - you can look up what it means.
For comparison - also look up the EPA guidelines: they are set so you'd need to be exposed for over a lifetime before you have a risk of getting sick off it.
You'll remember some fuss a while back over Texas drinking water?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
"Trace" is whatever the TV shows says it is.
There is no formal, scientific, definition. It is a quantity which is "negligible" - so it depends on the context.
It would be reasonable for "trace radiation" to be 1/10 of the EPA safe guidelines... well below background.

Geiger counters are as sensitive as the manufacturer says it is.
They are not the only way to detect radiation.
uCi is "microCurie" - you can look up what it means.
For comparison - also look up the EPA guidelines: they are set so you'd need to be exposed for over a lifetime before you have a risk of getting sick off it.
You'll remember some fuss a while back over Texas drinking water?

Thanks for the answers, and actually no I don't remember that fuss as I'm in the UK so my news is probably not your news :D

MathJakob said:
Thanks for the answers, and actually no I don't remember that fuss as I'm in the UK so my news is probably not your news :D
I'm in NZ and still managed to hear about it ;)

UK government has similar standards to ours - available from HSE. The standards are based on studies going back to the Curies groundbreaking research and arising later from industry experience such as the radium girls'.

As for what it means...
See the Rad FAQ for notes on comparing different measures - in case you are used to something else.

Likes 1 person
MathJakob said:
I'm seeing samples being sold with an alpha activity of 0.01uCi whatever that means.

1 Ci corresponds to 3.7 10^10 Bq or decays per second. So 0.01 uCi is 370 Bq. That's easy to detect with a Geiger counter. In fact, a Geiger counter is a very sensitive device. However, you don't get any information on the type and energy of the radiation being detected from it.

1. How does a gieger counter measure sensitivity?

A gieger counter measures sensitivity by detecting and counting the number of ionizing particles that pass through it. These particles, such as alpha, beta, and gamma radiation, cause the counter's gas-filled chamber to ionize and produce an electrical pulse, which is then amplified and counted by the device.

2. What factors affect the sensitivity of a gieger counter?

The sensitivity of a gieger counter can be affected by several factors, including the type and energy of the particles being detected, the type of gas used in the chamber, and the thickness of the walls and window of the detector. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the sensitivity of the device.

3. What is the typical sensitivity range of a gieger counter?

The sensitivity range of a gieger counter can vary depending on the model and manufacturer, but most devices are capable of detecting radiation levels as low as 1 microsievert per hour (μSv/h) to as high as 10 sieverts per hour (Sv/h). Some specialized gieger counters can even measure levels as low as 0.01 μSv/h.

4. Can the sensitivity of a gieger counter be adjusted?

Yes, the sensitivity of a gieger counter can be adjusted by changing the voltage applied to the detector chamber. Higher voltage can increase the sensitivity of the device, while lower voltage can decrease it. However, adjusting the sensitivity may also affect the accuracy and reliability of the measurements.

5. How accurate are gieger counters in measuring radiation levels?

The accuracy of gieger counters can vary depending on the specific device and its calibration, but most modern counters have an accuracy of around ±10%. However, external factors such as background radiation and the type of particles being detected can also affect the accuracy of the readings. Regular calibration and maintenance can help ensure a more accurate measurement of radiation levels.