Air circulation question [Image attatched]

In summary, the discussion discusses a theoretical question about general air pressure and circulation. The plan is to float something in the water side which will collect the bubbles to increase its buoyancy. Well, that system will not be able to do that for you, as no bubbles will enter the water the way it is set up. You will basically need an air pump to provide a pressure at the bottom of the water column that is greater than the hydrostatic pressure of the water. Whatever the "high pressure" in your diagram (as it is drawn), water will flow up that side tube until the two water levels are the same.
tliguori330
Hello,

My name is Tom and I had a theoretical question about general air pressure and circulation. i have attached an image to diagram the system I am describing.

In this closed system loop there is one part of a loop filled with water and the other part filled with air at a higher pressure. They are separated by a one way valve that let's the air flow into the water only.

Will the air continually circulate around this system?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• air pressure system.png
    air pressure system.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer - NO.

Longer answer - pressure at the bottom of the column of water ( from the gas pressure + mgh of the water ) is higher than the gas pressure at the value. No gas will enter the liquid. Why would you think that filling one side with a fluid of higher density ( so bubbles of gas could float to the surface ), would add anything to just having both sides liquid or both sides gas.

256bits said:
Short answer - NO.

Longer answer - pressure at the bottom of the column of water ( from the gas pressure + mgh of the water ) is higher than the gas pressure at the value. No gas will enter the liquid. Why would you think that filling one side with a fluid of higher density ( so bubbles of gas could float to the surface ), would add anything to just having both sides liquid or both sides gas.

The plan is to float something in the water side which will collect the bubbles to increase its buoyancy.

Well, that system will not be able to do that for you, as no bubbles will enter the water the way it is set up.

You will basically need an air pump to provide a pressure at the bottom of the water column that is greater than the hydrostatic pressure of the water. Whatever the "high pressure" in your diagram (as it is drawn), water will flow up that side tube until the two water levels are the same.

Let me know if this does not make sense but, the thought for the valve was that it would only allow air to flow into the water tank and not let water flow the other way. I am assuming that devices like that exist. maybe something similar to a squeeze ketchup/Gatorade bottle.

tliguori330 said:
Let me know if this does not make sense but, the thought for the valve was that it would only allow air to flow into the water tank and not let water flow the other way. I am assuming that devices like that exist. maybe something similar to a squeeze ketchup/Gatorade bottle.

However you achieve it, valves / squeezing etc., you need pump to produce a small excess pressure at the bottom of that column. Adding the same pressure to both sides will achieve nothing.

Can anyone think of a way to Keep the air pockets circulating? I want to catch them at the bottom of the water tank, float an object, then release the capture air, let the object sink and repeat.

Which bit about "air pump" that I suggested earlier is difficult to understand? Lol

sophiecentaur said:
Which bit about "air pump" that I suggested earlier is difficult to understand? Lol

All right, take it easy there boss. I want to use this concept to produce electrical energy through induced emf using faraday's law. I don't want to consume energy to make it happen. Maybe a mechanical air pump just to pressurize the whole system.

The point is that you won't get any energy out unless you put some (the same amount plus some) in. Basic rule of Physics / life / bank accounts. You will need to do work on the air to produce the bubbles which you could then play about with to produce electrical energy (if you are ingenious enough). You don't get owt for nowt, as they say in Yorkshire.

The energy i plan on putting is pressure before closing the system. So hand pumping air into build pressure. If the system is pressurized and there is a one way stopper between the water and air i feel like the air would keep circulating.

tliguori330 said:
The energy i plan on putting is pressure before closing the system. So hand pumping air into build pressure. If the system is pressurized and there us a one way stopper between the water and air i feel like the air would keep circulating.

It would move once and then stop. You can't beat the system.

Why would it stop the pressure in the system would always be a high pressure i think. There would be no loss in pressure in the system overall, once the bubbles pass the valve the pressure would increase pushing more bubbles through the valve and so on.

Thread is closed.

@tliguori330 -- Perpetual Motion Machines (PMMs) are on the list of Forbidden Topics in the PF Rules (see Site Info at the top of the page). You agreed to abide by those rules when you joined the PF. Please do not post about them again here.

From the Rules link:

PF Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

1. What is air circulation?

Air circulation refers to the movement of air within a given space. This can be natural, such as wind and convection, or artificial, such as using fans or air conditioning systems.

2. Why is air circulation important?

Air circulation is important for several reasons. It helps maintain a comfortable and healthy indoor environment by regulating temperature and humidity levels. It also helps improve air quality by distributing fresh air and reducing stagnant air, which can lead to the buildup of pollutants and allergens.

3. How does air circulation impact energy efficiency?

Proper air circulation can improve energy efficiency by reducing the need for heating and cooling. For example, in the winter, air circulation can help distribute warm air from a heater throughout a room, reducing the need for the heater to work harder. Similarly, in the summer, air circulation can help distribute cool air from an air conditioner, reducing its workload.

4. What factors can affect air circulation?

Air circulation can be affected by various factors, including the layout and size of a space, the placement and size of windows and doors, and the presence of furniture or other obstructions that can block air flow. Outdoor factors such as wind speed and direction can also impact air circulation indoors.

5. How can I improve air circulation in my home or office?

There are several ways to improve air circulation in a space. These include opening windows and doors to allow for natural ventilation, using fans or air conditioning systems, and rearranging furniture to allow for better air flow. Regularly cleaning and replacing air filters can also help improve air circulation and quality.