Solar energy collector formula

In summary, the conversation is about a formula for designing a solar water heater. The formula given is ^T=Qs / mC, where ^T represents change in water temperature, m is water flow rate, and C is specific heat of the water. The person is struggling to understand what Qs stands for and has tried rearranging the formula. Another person suggests that Q represents heat or energy, m represents mass, and \DeltaT represents differential temperature. The person then realizes that Q=mc\DeltaT from their previous knowledge in Physics.
nina
I'm stuck on a formula I'm using to design a solar water heater at uni (and no, I'm not a physics student, otherwise I'd probably be kicking myself its such a stupid question) and I understand the theory behind it, I just can't work out what the Qs stands for.

^T=Qs / mC

where ^T= change in water temp,
m= water flow rate in m/kg,
and C= specific heat of the water

I've tried rearranging the formula but it was never my strong point at A level, and the Qs appears to be representing energy, but of what I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q = mc[itex]\Delta[/itex]T, where Q would heat (thermal energy/enthalpy), m = mass, c = specific heat, and [itex]\Delta[/itex]T = differential temperature.

Perhaps in ^T=Qs / mC

Q = energy flux (energy/ unit area) and s = surface area, so that Qs = energy.

Thank you!

Now I feel a bit stupid, I knew Q=mc^T from my Physics a couple of years ago, but didnt even see it in this one:rolleyes:

Thanks again for pointing it out.

What is the formula for a solar energy collector?

The formula for a solar energy collector is efficiency x solar radiation x collector area.

How is efficiency calculated for a solar energy collector?

Efficiency is calculated by dividing the output power by the input power.

What factors affect the efficiency of a solar energy collector?

Some factors that affect the efficiency of a solar energy collector include the type and quality of materials used, the angle and orientation of the collector, and the amount of dust or debris on the collector.

Can the formula for a solar energy collector be modified for different climates?

Yes, the formula can be modified by adjusting the solar radiation value to account for the amount of sunlight in a specific climate.

How accurate is the formula for a solar energy collector?

The formula provides a good estimate of the potential energy output of a solar energy collector, but it may vary depending on external factors such as weather and maintenance of the collector.