Solving a Math Problem with Constants and Limits: Find a and b

• Thread starter gator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, to find a and b in the given equation with a limit approaching 1, we use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate the limit and set x = 1 to solve for a and b. This results in a simple linear relationship between the two variables, allowing for the determination of a and b.
gator
Given a, b are constants and lim x approch 1, a root x+3 - b all over x-1 equals 1. Find a and b

No clue how to answer this, but this is what I think i can do

a) get rid of the sqrt
b) apply limit

See, the problem is I have to unknows so i don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your problem?

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow{1}} \frac{a\sqrt{x+3}-b}{x-1}=1[/tex]?

gator said:
Given a, b are constants and lim x approch 1, a root x+3 - b all over x-1 equals 1. Find a and b

No clue how to answer this, but this is what I think i can do

a) get rid of the sqrt
b) apply limit

See, the problem is I have to unknows so i don't know what to do

If the version posted in LaTex is correct, note that the denominator goes to zero when x->1. For the quotient to have a finite limit, the numerator must also go to zero when x is set to 1.

You get a simple linear relationship between a and b. ---(1)

Now you can use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate a limit of the form 0/0. So differentiate both numerator and denominator. You know that the quotient of these two is also going to be 1 at the limit x->1.

So set x = 1 in that. The b term would have vanished, so you can now solve for a. Put that back in equation (1) and work out b, you're done.

1. What are constants and how do they affect a math problem?

Constants are fixed values in a math problem that do not change. They are represented by letters or symbols and can affect the outcome of the problem by either adding or subtracting a specific value.

2. How do I solve a math problem with constants and limits?

To solve a math problem with constants and limits, you first need to identify the constants and their values. Then, use the given limits to determine the range of possible values for the constants. Finally, use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown constants.

3. What is the purpose of finding both a and b in this type of math problem?

The values of a and b in a math problem with constants and limits determine the behavior of the function. By finding both a and b, you can accurately graph the function and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve these types of problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve math problems with constants and limits. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem by hand before relying on a calculator.

5. Are there any specific rules or formulas for solving these types of math problems?

Yes, there are specific rules and formulas for solving math problems with constants and limits, such as the limit laws and algebraic techniques for solving equations with multiple variables. It is important to familiarize yourself with these rules and formulas to efficiently solve these types of problems.