How Does Object Shape Influence Water Flow Patterns?

In summary: Your analysis of the patterns may not be completely accurate, but it is a good starting point for understanding fluid dynamics. For more information, you can visit www.geocities.com/arian_m3/fluid.html. In summary, your physics project explores the topic of fluid dynamics by observing the flow of water around different objects and analyzing the resulting patterns.
ArielGenesis
I have a physics project and i chose the topic of fluid dynamic (i don't know of it is really fluid dynamic but i think that is close enough). My level is only a high school student for information, in order to avoid any over complicating explenation.

The concept is simple:

first pour a glass of water on the florr.
Then you can see a the water spread
Wait until it stop spreading
Then the water have a certain thick ness

I some how able to have a flowing water of that thickness at a constant speed
then i put an object, like my palm for instance
the water would create a very interesting pattern.

The pattern could show a laminar flow.
I am not sure if what i thought as turbulet flow is actually a turbulent flow. coz the flow are not smooth yet stil fully transparent and no vortex has appear.

my problem is that i can't explain the pattern form in association with the shape and size of the object, if i change my palm with some thing for example.

i had taken some picture any i have trouble of posting it,
i made some attemp on analyzing the pattern, however, i can't be sure if my analysis is correct.

the pictures were at www.geocities.com/arian_m3/fluid.html

thank you. and sorry about my english

I repost this as in the last post, i posted big images which was untidy amd i had difficulty to edit them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fluid dynamics is the study of the motion of fluids and the forces on them. It can be used to describe the motion of water, air, and other fluids, as well as the forces acting on them. In your experiment, you are observing the effects of a flow of water around an object, such as your hand. Depending on the shape and size of the object, the water will flow around it in different ways, creating different patterns. These patterns can be used to identify different types of flows and to understand the forces that are acting on the object. For example, laminar flow is characterized by a smooth, steady flow of water, while turbulent flow is characterized by an unpredictable, chaotic flow. By changing the shape and size of the object, you can observe different patterns of flow and different forces acting on the object.

Hello! It's great to see that you are interested in fluid dynamics and are conducting experiments for your physics project. The concept you are exploring is known as the boundary layer, which is a thin layer of fluid that forms on the surface of an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. This layer affects the flow of the fluid around the object and can create interesting patterns, as you have observed.

The patterns you are seeing on the surface of the water when you place an object, such as your palm, in the flow are called flow visualizations. These patterns can help us understand the behavior of the fluid and how it interacts with the object. In your case, the pattern you are seeing is most likely a laminar flow, which is a smooth and orderly flow of fluid. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is characterized by chaotic and irregular motion, with the formation of vortices and eddies.

The shape and size of the object does have an influence on the pattern formed in the boundary layer. This is because the shape and size of the object affect the flow of the fluid around it. For example, a larger or more streamlined object will cause a more pronounced disturbance in the flow, leading to a different pattern compared to a smaller or less streamlined object.

As for your analysis of the pattern, it is important to consider the velocity and viscosity of the fluid, as well as the Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless quantity that describes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in the fluid. These factors can help explain the behavior of the fluid and the pattern formed.

I hope this helps with your project and understanding of fluid dynamics. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help or clarification if needed. Good luck!

1. What is the boundary layer?

The boundary layer is a thin layer of fluid that forms on the surface of an object as it moves through a fluid medium. It is characterized by a gradual transition of flow from the freestream to the surface of the object.

2. What factors affect the boundary layer?

The factors that affect the boundary layer include the velocity of the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, the roughness of the surface, and the shape and size of the object.

3. How does the boundary layer affect aerodynamics?

The boundary layer plays a significant role in aerodynamics as it affects the drag and lift forces acting on an object. A thick boundary layer can increase drag, whereas a well-controlled boundary layer can reduce drag and improve the aerodynamic performance of an object.

4. What are the different types of boundary layer?

There are two main types of boundary layer: laminar and turbulent. In a laminar boundary layer, the fluid flows smoothly in parallel layers, while in a turbulent boundary layer, the fluid flows in a chaotic manner, causing increased mixing and energy loss.

5. How is the boundary layer measured and studied?

The boundary layer can be measured using various techniques such as hot-wire anemometry, laser Doppler velocimetry, or particle image velocimetry. It can also be studied using computational fluid dynamics simulations, wind tunnel experiments, and theoretical models.