Comparing Capacitance: Square vs. Circle Capacitor

In summary, if the diameter of the circle equals the length of the side of the square, the capacitance of a capacitor built from a square plate and a large rectangular plate will be the same as a capacitor built from a circle and a large rectangular plate.
OPIH
I need to know how the capacitance of a capacitor built from a
square plate and a large rectangular plate compares to that of a
capacitor built from a circle and a large rectangular plate, if the
diameter of the circle equals the length of the side of the square.

Physics news on Phys.org
OPIH said:
I need to know how the capacitance of a capacitor built from a
square plate and a large rectangular plate compares to that of a
capacitor built from a circle and a large rectangular plate, if the
diameter of the circle equals the length of the side of the square.
I think you have to apply Gauss' law to the smaller plate on the theory that the field above the smaller plate and the charge distribution on it will be uniform. The charge distribution will not be uniform on the larger plate so the field will not be uniform. (Let's say the smaller plate is on the bottom). Applying Gauss' law to the smaller plate: [itex]EA = Q/\epsilon[/itex] or [itex]E = \sigma/\epsilon[/itex]

Since E = V/d over the smaller plate does not depend on surface area, [itex]\sigma[/itex] does not depend on surface area. Therefore, the amount of charge on the smaller plate varies in proportion to the plate area. Since [itex]C = Q/V[/itex], the capacitance would vary in proportion to the area of the smaller plate.

Apply that principle to your problem.

AM

OPIH,

When the plates are close together, the simple law C = epso S/d applies. Therefore, in this limit case, the ratio of the capcacitance will be the ratio of the surface, which is pi/4 = 0.785398, simply.

When the separation increases, the fringing fields may increase the capacitance considerably as compared to the simplified formula above. This is because of charge accumulation in the edges and in the corners (for rectangles).

For moderate separations, there is a Kirchhoff formula to evaluate, but I can't find it back right now. This may allow you to estimate your ratio for moderate separations. Unfortunately, I am not sure it can be adapted for rectangular or square plates.

Michel

Last edited:
Although Andrew Mason and lalbatros way would work, I'd prefer to solve Laplace equation in both cartesian and spherical coordinates, it'll be a lot easier since your only changing one coordinate.

What is a Square and Circle Capacitor?

A Square and Circle Capacitor is a type of capacitor that has either a square or circular shape. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material.

What is the difference between a square and circle capacitor?

The main difference between a square and circle capacitor is their shape. A square capacitor has a larger surface area and smaller distance between plates, resulting in higher capacitance compared to a circular capacitor. However, a circular capacitor has a more uniform distribution of electric field and can withstand higher voltages.

What are the applications of square and circle capacitors?

Square and circle capacitors have various applications in electronics, including power supply filtering, motor starting and running, and signal coupling. They are also used in high-frequency circuits, such as radio frequency filters and oscillators.

How do you calculate the capacitance of a square and circle capacitor?

The capacitance of a square and circle capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in Farads, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What are the factors that affect the capacitance of a square and circle capacitor?

The capacitance of a square and circle capacitor is affected by the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. Additionally, the shape and arrangement of the plates can also impact the capacitance.