Centripetal force circular drum question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a person on a spinning drum with no floor. The question is about determining the coefficient of friction required to prevent the person from falling out. The solution involves calculating the speed and centripetal acceleration of the drum, and using this to determine the normal force and ultimately the coefficient of friction. It is determined that the coefficient of friction required is 0.65.
Checkfate
Okay, I need help with this question. It is killing me! :confused:

A circular drum is spinning round and round. A person is on the wall of the drum and there is no floor beneath him. If the drum has a radius of 2.4m and takes 2.5s to comlete a revoltion, what is the coefficient of friction reqired to prevent him from falling out?

I calculated the speed of the drum.

(Pi symbol did not work... PI=pi)
[tex] v=\frac{2PIr}{T}[/tex]
[tex]=6.0m/s[/tex]

and then used that to calculate the centripetal acceleration.

[tex] a_{c}=\frac{v^{2}}{r} [/tex]
[tex]=\frac{36m^{2}/s^{2}}{2.4m}[/tex]
[tex]=15m/s^{2}[/tex]

But then I haven't the slightest clue how to calculate a coefficient of friction. I thought that perhaps I could treat the drum as a planet and it's gravitational constant could be the centripetal acceleration (I am guessing this is the right line of thinking :) ) but then the fact that I lack a mass to work with gets in the way. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks :smile:

coefficient of friction = [tex]\frac {F_{f}}{F_{N}} [/tex] but I can't calculate forces without a mass!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces acting on the person: What's holding the person up? What friction force is required? How does friction relate to the normal force? What provides the normal force and how can you calculate it?

You don't need to know the mass. What's the normal force acting on the person?

Edit: I was late as usual. ;)

Thank you both.. The normal force acting on the person would be the centripetal acceleration times the person's mass, would it not? I am still stuck :( lol.

The thing holding the person up is his inertia... His body wants to continue straight ahead but the wall stops his body from doing this. The friction force required... I would guess that it depends on the person's mass! Would a whale not stay in this thing longer than a flee? Since it has more lnertia and thus would create more friction..

Last edited:
Checkfate said:
The normal force acting on the person would be the centripetal acceleration times the person's mass, would it not?
Correct. The normal force of the wall against the person provides the centripetal force that keeps him going in a circle.

The thing holding the person up is his inertia... His body wants to continue straight ahead but the wall stops his body from doing this.
Let's be precise. What forces act on the person? Hint: I count three forces acting.

Hint 2: There's no acceleration in the vertical direction. So what does that tell you about the sum of the vertical forces?

The friction force required... I would guess that it depends on the person's mass!
Indeed it does. But neutrino is correct: You don't need to know the person's mass to solve for the coefficient of friction. (Hint: Solve the problem using symbols. Don't plug in numbers until the last step.)

Would a whale not stay in this thing longer than a flee? Since it has more lnertia and thus would create more friction.
As long as each animal has the same coefficient of friction with the wall (and assuming that the usual model of friction applies), then the answer is: Both flea and whale are equally supported! True, the whale does require more friction, but the normal force on the whale is enough to create it. (Of course, the normal force required to keep the massive whale moving in a circle might be so great that the drum just breaks apart! :smile: )

Okay I think I finally got it :)

Since there is no vertical acceleration, [tex]F_{f}=F_{g}=mg[/tex]

The normal force = [tex]F_{N}=15m/s^{2}(m)[/tex]

Coefficient of friction [tex]=\frac{F_{f}}{F_{N}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{m(9.80m/s^{2})}{15m/s^{2}(m)}[/tex]
[tex]=0.65[/tex]

Right? :)

Thanks Doc Al

You got it. :smile:

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It allows the object to continuously change direction and maintain its circular motion.

2. How does centripetal force relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is essential for an object to maintain its circular motion. Without it, the object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circle.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force depends on the mass of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the radius of the circular path it is following. The greater the mass or speed, or the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal force required.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that an object experiences when it is moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the inertia of the object.